A Merry Christmas and a Wrap-Up


Merry Christmas everyone! I had such a nice Noche Buena last night and a nice relaxing Christmas morning. I got some really thoughtful gifts and feel so grateful. Only two books though because I've been wanting make-up and more practical things for a long time. There is one book that is so pretty! I don't want to reveal it yet since I'm planning to use it as one of my theme reads which I'm keeping a surprise until the first of each month.

Anyways, I wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and also discuss the books I read for the 12 Days of Books Read-a-thon. I wrote updates everyday so you can get a feel of what I thought on this post and the updates post. I posted reviews on a couple of them and the rest will come next year.


To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
Rating: 4/5 Stars
To Kill a Kingdom was a lot of fun. It's a Little Mermaid retelling where Ariel is a siren, Eric a pirate prince, and Ursula is Ariel's mom. I enjoyed Lira (Ariel) the most because she was violent and non-apologetic. She was a  cool character. One of the only drawbacks was that I didn't really like the Prince and her conversations at times.
Mini Challenge: Love and Lesson


__________________________________________________________

The Search for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi
Rating: 2/5 stars
The Search for Wondla reminds me of Star Wars since it's set in this world with strange creatures, robots, and come, on. That cover totally looks Star Wars-esque. Unfortunately, the main character annoyed me. The story and the main character were written too childishly. You can see my full review here.



__________________________________________________________

Save the Date by Morgan Matson
Rating: 2/5 stars
Save the Date was surprisingly predictable. There was also the fact that there was no real romance. You can't claim it's a romance and don't give me any flirting other than, "Hi." 
Mini Challenge: Family, Lesson, and Spirits (alcohol)





__________________________________________________________

The Secrets We Bury by Stacie Ramey
Rating: 1/5 stars
This was just poor writing. The MC sounded like a fourteen year old so the writing reflected that fact. I was so bothered by his perspective that I ended up hate reading the rest of the book.






__________________________________________________________

This Heart of Mine by C.C. Hunter
Rating: 2/5 stars
This was a personal story for the author but it just didn't translate well. There was a choice made in the very beginning that I knew as soon as I read it that I wasn't going to like this book. And I was right. 
Mini Challenge: Red and Winter





So not the best reading time ever. I read more than expected but still have two books I want to read by tomorrow. We will see if I get to them. The book I'm reading now, Counting to Perfect, is really good so far thankfully. I can't take another disappointment read.

How has your reading been this December? Did you get any books for Christmas?

Comments

  1. Too bad! I hope you get some great reads soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read one right afterwords that I really enjoyed.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you had a nice Christmas. Too bad you didn't have better luck with most of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's okay. It has made me realize that I need to be more ruthless and DNF more books.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you didn't like a lot of these, but I'm glad your current read is going well! Merry Belated Christmas! I got a couple books for Christmas. The one I'm most excited about is Lethal White by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). It's the fourth in the series, which I LOVE, so I can't wait to read it.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry belated Christmas to you as well and Happy New Year!
      Ooh, yay! I can't believe how fast J.K. Rowling's pseudonym got leaked. But I'm glad you enjoy her new series that I believe is a mystery. I am curious to see her writing style transfer to a new series but I am in no rush. Hope you enjoy Lethal White!

      Delete
  4. Yikes, sorry that you had a bad reading month but I am glad you enjoyed To Kill a Kingdom! I hope you have happy reading on your next reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had two good to great reads since I posted this which I'm really happy about. To Kill a Kingdom was really fun. Dark retellings are the best <3

      Delete
  5. Merry after Christmas! Yay for a good one. Grr for some not so fabulous reads. But at least they're off the list and you can move on to new hopefully wonderful ones in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so glad they are off my list. I don't want to force myself to read bad books next year though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top