The Cahill Witch Chronicles | Completing a Series Six Years Later


It's been six years. SIX YEARS since I first read and loved Born Wicked. Six years since I've started the Cahill Witch Chronicles. And now? I'm finally done! It's incredible how not finishing this series has made me wonder about all the other books I've yet to finish and when I look into it... it's staggering. What's with me not finishing series? Sometimes I devour series but other times, even when I love the previous books, I just don't finish. It has made me feel so accomplished finishing this series, after all, Born Wicked was declared a favorite of mine back in 2012. I've been scanning my shelves and tbr list to see what other series I haven't finished and which ones I plan on starting because the thing is, I don't want to do this again. I don't want to wait six years to finish a series that I enjoyed so much. I don't want to start any series without reading the next book right away or having it on my list to read right away as soon as it comes out... from the library most likely but still!

The Cahill Witch Chronicles is the second series I finished this year. I recently finished the Paranormalcy series which didn't continue on to my liking. It was the romance. Romances can make or break a book even if it is not a central theme. Anyways, I wanted to finally review this series and bask in my reading accomplishment. Enjoy!

________________________________________________________

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
My original review is very detailed. I'll just discuss if my thoughts were the same. I'll try not to interject any new feelings from reading the rest of the series.

1. I talked a lot about the love interest, Finn Belastra. Although, I still prefer Finn as a love interest because of his kindness and love of books, I did find the romance between him and Cate to be a little fast. It was a very true to life teenage romance. It was very sweet and the fast romance made sense for the life they lived in. I wouldn't call it instalove but it wasn't as exciting the second time around. There were a few moments I did really enjoy. Finn understood Cate and that's what anyone really wants in a relationship - understanding and acceptance of who a person is... and romance of course.

2. Cate was a great older sister. I found her resolve and determination to keep her sisters safe admirable. She has a bit of wild in her that she tries to reign in most of the time but does make some mistakes. I think after controlling the perfect image or at least trying to make herself be inconspicuous, she lets off a bit of irrational mistakes. This is more of a thought on her throughout the series as a whole but in this book too. I can't really blame her.

3. Maura. Oh, Maura. Let's not give away too many secrets about you, huh? Maura is very mch a firecracker and I love her love of books. She reminds me of Lydia on the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, she just wants to be loved for being herself. But, ooh girl. She can be mean with her magic and her words. She's a force to be reckoned with when she is angry.

4. Tess is remarkably clever for her age. She's the smartest one of the bunch. I'll explore my thought on her more later...

5. The Brotherhood. Wow, pure evil much? I don't understand how evil leaders don't get it. When you oppress people so much, especially witches, you don't think about the future consequences do you? The Brotherhood is as vile as ever and the Sisterhood... The Sisterhood is something for sure...

6. Um, I completely forgot about this mysterious prophecy and the MAJOR twist at the end. You'll see a lot of them in this series. But, wow. This'll get interesting, quick. Spotswood likes to keep you on your toes.

__________________________________________________________

With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.

Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war.

Excuse you. How are you this compelling? I mean maybe it is because I've waited so long to read you but the drama is like 1000% right now and I'm loving it.

Well, not while I was reading Star Cursed. There was so much drama that I either cursed, ha!, the people causing it or gasped while I frantically turned pages.

Let me give you one little scoop about Star Cursed. Maura's the worst. She can't see anything from her sister's POV and although Cate seems to do the same she isn't the worst, Maura is.

So we've established Maura is the worst. Keep that in mind when reading this book and you will still be surprised. I've got to admit that the sibling rivalry kept me glued onto the pages. I haven't been so angry at a character at a long time. Spotswood likes to keep her readers on our toes.

I hope I properly enticed you. If so this next part will surely be a bummer. The romance was so.... annoying. It wasn't eye roll worthy or anything but Finn actually said something along the lines of him being upset that Cate is sacrificing them being together for her sisters. Her sisters. Excuse you, boy. Who do you think you are? Cate just met you and no man is more important than her sisters. Her sisters! Seriously? You aren't that important. So the romance was whatever. I did like how it was going in the last portion of the book at least. Otherwise, way too fast! The romance was even faster and more angsty than the last time. Let's stop that shall we?

The Sisterhood brought out the worst in the sisters. The drama, I lived for it. I did get to see Maura's POV very briefly but not as much as I would have liked. It was nice to read more about the sisters and the progress of their relationships. There was another twist to the story which I don't think was necessary, as in, maybe that's enough twists but also it did go with the story nicely.

Although I feel like I complained about the romance way too much; I loved where this sequel led me. I was enchanted with the writing and the drama. By the last few pages, I was dying to see how this series ended. Would it be worth the six year wait?

__________________________________________________________

A fever ravages New London, but with the Brotherhood sending suspected witches straight to the gallows, the Sisters are powerless against the disease. They can’t help without revealing their powers—as Cate learns when a potent display of magic turns her into the most wanted witch in all of New England.

To make matters worse, Cate has been erased from the memory of her beloved Finn. While she’s torn between protecting him from further attacks and encouraging him to fall for her all over again, she’s certain she can never forgive Maura’s betrayal. And now that Tess’s visions have taken a deadly turn, the prophecy that one Cahill sister will murder another looms ever closer to its fulfillment.
Was it worth the wait? Yes and no.

Yes, because oh come on that twist at the end of Star Cursed? Thank you! I was getting annoyed with that "romance" and I was so happy to be clear of that... for the time being. And the rivalry explodes! Maura has proved herself to be the worst. There is no coming back from what she did to Finn... to her sister. Why? Because her sisters are being mean and this other person is making her feel oh so special? It's called manipulation, sweetie. Even at fifteen, I would never betray my brothers no matter if they didn't understand me.

This was a whirlwind conclusion. I enjoyed the addition of the resistance and the continuing drama. I did not enjoy how when something truly tragic happened or when something cruel was going on that Cate didn't have the reaction that everyone would have - pure anger/sadness. I would have been impulsive like Maura at times I admit, however Cate's calm planning approach was more reasonable. But level-headed Cate did wait a long time to get things done like her sister kept telling her. I could understand where Maura was coming from. Also, whenever something tragic happened - Cate gets over it in a second. Excuse, me? Where's your emotion? I cried more than this girl ever did and it wasn't my story!

After all of that, even with its flaws, I am so happy to have completed this series. I was so invested. All the indignant looks, gasps, and tears I have made reading this series made it so special to me. After reading this series I could finally say that I am out of my basically year long reading slump that I didn't think I could get out of. I'm thrilled to have been able to read and now share my thoughts on this series finally six years later after favoriting the first book.


Have you read the Cahill Witch Chronicles?
Do you have a series you've kept off finishing for a very long time?
Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

  1. I haven't read this series, though it does sound interesting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really angsty but action packed. No problem (: Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top