The Stone Heart + Paper Girls | Graphic Novel Reviews

Kaidu and Rat have only just recovered from the assassination attempt on the General of All Blades when more chaos breaks loose in the Nameless City: deep conflicts within the Dao nation are making it impossible to find a political solution for the disputed territory of the City itself.

To complicate things further, Kaidu is fairly certain he's stumbled on a formula for the lost weapon of the mysterious founders of the City. . . . But sharing it with the Dao military would be a complete betrayal of his friendship with Rat. Can Kai find the right solution before the Dao find themselves at war?
The Stone Heart is the second graphic novel in The Nameless City series. I absolutely loved The Nameless City (the first book). The dynamic between Kaidu and Rat was fantastic so I was excited to get more of that in the sequel.

I enjoyed this sequel but it felt like it was just there to give me a huge cliffhanger. I still love Kaidu and Rat, thank goodness. The side characters were explored which is what I wanted. The development of the characters was there and I am thrilled about that. However, there were elements of the story that caught me by surprise (in a good/eh way). I didn't notice any of the malice from certain characters in the last book which I guess is fine. But, it would have been nice to have that development from the very first story. I was just surprised by some events because it was like, "where did that come from?" However, I might have just missed hints earlier on in the series and it could have been a potential problem in other readers mind's.

Another thing is that everything seemed to jump around a little too much. It wasn't as flowy as the last book but this was still a good read. I really want to see how Hicks concludes this series. I hope it has more flow and greatness that the first book had. The Stone Heart was good. I just wasn't blown away by it.

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble | IndieBound

_________________________________________________________________________________

In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood.
Paper Girls was not at all how I expected. When it starts to unravel its mystery I couldn't help wonder if this was real or not. Are there aliens? There's time travel, what? Totally unexpected and such a strange nostalgic sci-fi comic.

I still don't know what to make of Paper Girls, months after reading it. I likethat it was set in the 80s. The main characters were all interesting. The story around the paper route and this group of girls who looked out for each other was sweet. Then things got crazy.

I enjoyed Paper Girls for the most part. I'm very curious to see how the series develops. The Paper Girls is well written but I'm not compelled to continue, like I didn't love but by far does that mean that I disliked it, it just seemed like a lot of things going on. I don't know how I feel about the time travel elements because I hate time travel in general. If anything the writing, art, and characters make me want to continue and give this series a shot.


Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble | IndieBound

_________________________________________________________________________________

Have you read anything by Faith Erin Hicks?
What would you do if there was a potential alien takeover?

Comments

  1. While this didn't have the flow to it that the first novel did, I am glad you enjoyed this. I hope the series strengths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. There is only one more book left in the series. I have high hopes it will conclude fabulously.

      Delete
  2. I too was very shocked/confused about Paper Girls. lol I read and loved The Namless City but have yet to get around to the sequel. I need to get on that! Great reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see I'm not alone! The sequel takes on an interesting turn. I hope it ends well.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these- but I do love graphic novels. Sounds like the first book in the series was great. Hope the next one is as awesome as the first. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top