Bout of Books 11.0 Day 4: Reading Update


Day 4 Complete! I can't believe I am up to 5 books read. I've gotten lucky enough where after I read the graphic novel form of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children I chose at random Relish from my TBR Jar. After I read that I incidentally cheated for the first time. I just got Jane Eyre from the library and I chose it but thing is it is super long and it's written in Pride and Prejudice fashion. I really don't want to take up so much time reading Jane Eyre because I know it'll take me the rest of the Bout of Books. So.... I chose at random again and picked Witches of East End. I'll read Jane Eyre when I choose it again later on but not during the Bout of Books.
"A vibrant, food-themed memoir from beloved indie cartoonist Lucy Knisley.
Lucy Knisley loves food. The daughter of a chef and a gourmet, this talented young cartoonist comes by her obsession honestly. In her forthright, thoughtful, and funny memoir, Lucy traces key episodes in her life thus far, framed by what she was eating at the time and lessons learned about food, cooking, and life. Each chapter is bookended with an illustrated recipe—many of them treasured family dishes, and a few of them Lucy's original inventions.
A welcome read for anyone who ever felt more passion for a sandwich than is strictly speaking proper, Relish is a book for our time: it invites the reader to celebrate food as a connection to our bodies and a connection to the earth, rather than an enemy, a compulsion, or a consumer product."
Relish was fun. For a picky eater like me it's nice to see what's waiting out there for me if I just give things a try.
"The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrouded town seems almost stuck in time, and all three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret--they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, there's Freya, the wild child, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache.
For centuries, all three women have been forced to suppress their abilities. But then Freya, who is about to get married to the wealthy and mysterious Bran Gardiner, finds that her increasingly complicated romantic life makes it more difficult than ever to hide her secret. Soon Ingrid and Joanna confront similar dilemmas, and the Beauchamp women realize they can no longer conceal their true selves. They unearth their wands from the attic, dust off their broomsticks, and begin casting spells on the townspeople. It all seems like a bit of good-natured, innocent magic, but then mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town. When a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it's time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them."
I read about 20 pages of The Witches of East End a while ago and I remember it being different than the tv show. Freya looked different and their whole situation in magical use is different here too. It'll be nice to see how the book progresses compared to the tv series.


The Book Stats:

Note: The stats for today might change if I decide to read later on. They will be changed on the next update. This is something that will be applied to each update except the final one.

Currently Reading: Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley


Thursday, August 21st
Books Read: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Graphic Novel) by Ransom Riggs; Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
Pages Read: 419 pgs. (not counting the sneak preview for Hollow City)
Time Read: 2 hr. 33
 min.

Total Stats
Books Read: 5
Pages Read: 1476 pgs.
Time Read: 14 hrs. 1 min.

Number of Hours to Reach Goal: 3 hrs. 58 min.


Comments

  1. I have been hearing a lot about this memoir.

    Glad you picked another book that you feel you will be able to finish for your challenge.

    I hope you love Jane Eyre when you get to it! I read it about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. I have been thinking of rereading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently watched the video series of Jane Eyre: The Autobiography of Jane Eyre so I've been in the mood to start the book. It's just longer than I thought it would be compared to Pride and Prejudice. I also really like the newest movie version so I'll have to take time to read it soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top