Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Well now I've watched the movie and read the book. I do like the movie better. It's not a big difference in the greatness of it like Stardust was. Wybie wasn't there and there was just more.... but I also thought that Gaiman is a genius for coming up with Coraline and basically everything he had in the book came out in the movie so I won't say that the book wasn't great which it was.

So the story goes like this... Coraline just moved into a new home. Her parents are always busy never having time for her. She explores a lot. In both the book and the movie she meets a black cat that becomes sort of like her sidekick but don't let it catch you saying that. Let's say he's more like her guide. He helps her out a couple of times throughout the book and has the sterotypical I'm better than you cat persona. But it's just right when coming through the cat.

In the movie she meets Wybie this awkward cute kid that warns her about the house. She receives a doll in the movie too which doesn't happen in the book. The doll looks like her but with button eyes. It steals the key to a little door that she enters before where she meets her other mother and father who have time for her and cook her normal delicious food. They buy her what she wants and it's all good. Problem is they want her to sew button eyes on her eyes like they have. They want her to never leave. She refuses but then her parents are stolen. So now she must find her parents and save the souls of three dead children that the other mother said she "loved".

Going to the Other World
Meeting Wybie

Now I never thought about this but with the illustrations in the book I thought about the other mother and her button eyes on a real human. You know how creeped out I got!? *shudders* Also a warning: do not under any circumstance read this book or watch the movie at night. I know it's just a kids book but then it's also a really messed up kids book so... I warned you...

Now imagine your mom with button eyes. Yeah. I told you it was creepy.

I loved the stop motion animation because Coraline looks absolutely amazing in the movie because of it. It must take a lot of patience though. Fantastic Mr. Fox did it too and I won't be surprised if I see others doing it as well. So I loved the movie and really liked the book. If you haven't seen the movie you really need to go out and get it like now. There is this doll I found and now I have a really bad want for it. I don't really care if it's the tiny one or larger one I just want it.

Stop Motion in Coraline
You know you want one.
"...The world will be built new for you every morning. If you stay here, you can have whatever you want."

Coraline sighed. "You really don't understand, do you?" she said. "I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?" 
"I think I once mentioned," said the cat,"that I don't like rats at the best of times. It looked like you needed this one, however. I hope you don't mind my getting involved."

Comments

  1. I REMEMBER THIS BOOK! It's been so long since I've read it, but I loved it (:
    In sixth grade my teacher would read a chapter every day to us everyday! Great post and I agree that the people were a little creepy with their buttons eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're teacher was cool. :D
    Why can't my teachers now assign books that are actually interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah he really was!
    That's how I feel sometimes. Don't get me wrong I love reading the classics, but I'm sure there are more modern books that convey the same message... Right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah of course. Some classics are actually really timeless but if you want to keep your students interested just use a book as an example that has the same message but it's written in a way for kids this age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I totally agree. For example my freshman year we were required to read the Hunger Games and it got a lot of kids interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top