Heads Up! Trying to Escape the Readathon

For the last week and a half of Escape the Readathon I focused mainly on ensuring that our team would lock the gate. There was another team who got enough tickets to escape. My team was working on getting enough tickets and trying to lock the gate behind them so that we could be the winner. Only one team could escape. If you were in it, you'd get it. 

It's been more than a month so by now I've revealed in a past post that Snack Squad did not escape the readathon. It's too bad but I read 28 books throughout the month so that's a win for me. I got really into the manga series Blue Lock which you'll notice through the short reviews I've posted below.




The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won't set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon's sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.
I thought this would go over my head since I don't read much high fantasy but it was pretty digestable. All I knew was lesbian necromancers but that doesn't really do this justice. Most of the story centers around all the houses gaining keys and solving puzzles (plus lots of battles and gore) to obtain godhood. Gideon is hot-headed and foul-mouthed. She's a victim whose been treated like dirt her entire life so she's also very loyal to those who are kind to her. I loved her. She was wonderful. I liked her dynamic with Harrow. Both are badasses in their own right. I just wish there was a different ending. I guess that's why I don't read that much high fantasy. I rather have a hopeful ending than one filled with death.



WILL YOU SHOOT WITHOUT HESITATION?

Yoichi Isagi, one of three hundred high school soccer players is in Team Z--the lowest ranked group in the controversial training facility, Blue Lock, where the aim is to create Japan's best striker. To survive their first round-robin tournament, Isagi's Team Z will need to find a way to use their unique "weapons," while struggling through a clash of egos. But Isagi grapples to understand what his strength is as a striker...
Very satisfying to see Team Z play a couple of matches. You get to see how Isagi's mind works. He clearly is the strategical sort and I like that he will pass to win. But also he begins acting like a striker with that overexcited love of beating his foes, which is something I could only love in a manga. Bachira and him are obviously great teammates and I'm just waiting for the moment when one betrays the other (I will be crushed when it happens). But for now, I liked getting to know some of the other characters based on their weapons. I would like to know more which I am sure to get in the next volume. I'm excited to see them play the top team and blow everyone's expectations of the last-placed team.



WILL YOU BREAK AWAY FROM YOUR PAST?

Savoring the sweet taste of victory against Team Y, Team Z is pumped to face their next opponent in the first selection round-robin tournament—Team W! But cracks begin to show within the shaky bonds of Team Z, and internal fears freeze players in their tracks on the field. In the face of Team W's powerful aces, the Wanima twins, will Team Z be able to come together in time to escape defeat?
The betrayal! I didn't suspect the person who betrayed the team. I don't know how in the world they are going to move on with or without this character. Of course, our MC stands out once again. I am so excited that Isagi is recognized in the team rankings. I also enjoyed seeing him inspire Chigiri and learning about his backstory. I've thought more and more about how little I care for Igarashi. He is ranked last and doesn't really do anything. He's a bit annoying. I am more interested in learning about Kunigami who I feel has the cooler older brother personality. Also, I want Iemon to shine and not just be a goalkeeper. Learning that he helps put up cones for training makes sense. He is the dad of the group but I want Isagi to inspire him to go for a goal.



WOULD YOU PLAY IF YOU'RE THE WEAKEST?

It's the final round of the first selection and Team Z needs to win against Team V--the undefeated team of Wing 5--to survive! A triple threat awaits Isagi, including prodigy Seishiro Nagi, who only started playing soccer six months ago. Moreover, Team Z is still one man down after Kuon's brutal betrayal in the previous game. The odds are stacked against them as they enter the pitch, and Isagi and his teammates are becoming painfully aware of how weak they really are. In this end, is it all pointless? Or will desperation triumph over talent?
I loved that Isagi thought of practicing with the top scorer. I don't see any of the other players making extra efforts to grow and learn. Saying that I loved that Bachira was the one who got everyone fired up, including Isagi. He clearly wanted to leave his all out there especially since he wants to play soccer so much with Isagi. I really want to read his backstory and see why he's so interested in Isagi. I know he sees his obsession with soccer reflected back at him but I know there is more. I feel like we've got all the players who have scored backgrounds but not Bachira's. I'm ready for Isagi to get that last point and win this for the team.



WOULD YOU GO BEYOND YOUR LIMIT?

In the face of Team V, Team Z has managed to catch up 3-3 with fifteen minutes remaining. Amid this tense environment, all the players seek their "awakening" that will take their skills to the next level... Will they manage to beat Team V and qualify for the next selection—or will they be stuck on the playing field with nowhere to go?
I loved seeing this round of competition the most so far. Everything was on the line and it was Isagi's turn to level up and believe in himself. Stop thinking and go for the shot. Nagi from Team V being awakened in his own right was exciting. I loved how intense this was. I'm also for some reason now liking Raichi even though he keeps wanting to use his "sexy soccer" technique. I usually wouldn't care for him but he's just so crazy with his intensity to block the other team that he's fun to read about. Although slightly disappointing, there was another interesting twist since I wanted Team Z to be the ultimate underdogs. However, I'm excited to see the second round be an individual match. I'm hoping I can see how all the teammates go through this round because there are a few who I haven't seen shine yet.



WOULD YOU OBEY YOUR EGO?

After Isagi and the rest of Team Z clear the first selection round, they split up to face the second selection individually. Waiting beyond the first door is Blue Lock Man, a cutting-edge goalkeeping AI system. A new group of incredible strikers and shocking rules await Isagi in the second selection round...!!
Isagi got a taste of what it's like to go against the best. He may be improving but he is still behind where he needs to be. I appreciate when things go wrong and he must continue to fight to improve. I did not expect what happened at the end which I love. It's funny how Bachira acts like he loves Isagi and asks him to fight for him. I'm curious how the next round will turn out because it could get desperate for Isagi. Hopefully, he pulls out all the stops. Also what I like to call the "gammasters" finally acknowledging his growth makes me so happy!



A hero in need of saving. A curse no kiss can break. The bargain that brings them together—and might bring down the kingdom.

Nickolas Brigham was meant to marry a princess. Everyone said so. His mother, mostly, but it wasn’t the time to quibble.

If he doesn't marry a woman of station soon, he’ll be tied to a fate worse than ruination. When he’s dragged bodily into a compromising situation, his only choice is to accept the aid of the doe-eyed damsel he chances upon in his attempt at escape.

But Jules is no meek maiden. She’s clever and quick, and has terms of her own: Nickolas must vow to break her curse before the fae prince comes to collect his due. Yes, only that, and the minor feat of fooling the kingdom by faking their betrothal.
Within the Hollow Heart was a really cute short book. I didn't know anything about the plot before reading so the magical aspect with the fae was a surprise. There's a curse on Jules that she needs help breaking. While Nicholas is seen as this charmer who is being blackmailed and has many debts thanks to his conniving mother. Nicholas was always so sweet to Jules. They both worked together perfectly. Since this was such a short story I didn't feel like I was able to get into the fae storyline. I also wished there was more written about the side characters. Otherwise, this was a sweet, fast read.



WOULD YOU BE PICKED LAST?

In the second selection's rival battles—where the winners can choose one player from the losing team—Isagi and Nagi have just lost Bachira to Rin Itoshi and the other top strikers. Now they must prove the strength of their individual abilities in a fight against Shouei Barou, the top scoring player in Wing 5. If they lose, they'll be at risk of disqualification... As Isagi takes the fight to King Barou, he's aiming to end up on the side of the prodigies!
I don't know why I was so surprised but I have so many mixed emotions on Isagi's choice. I get why he did what he did but it just threw me for a loop. This didn't have the most exciting round of competition mostly because Nagi scored the most while it took forever for Isagi to adapt to the players on the field. Saying that, I do like that even though he doesn't score as much as the others he is continuously racking up skills that I'm sure will be all shown in one perfect game. I am not happy with who he's playing against for the next round. I want all of Team Z to go through to the end! But it does make it more nerve-racking and interesting when he plays against his former teammates. It looks like he will play against Bachira's team soon. The question is if he will choose Bachira. I don't see why, except for getting the top player to be in their team, but they would already win by getting five team members, would they not? Lots of questions up in the air. The next match should be fun!



Sir Phillip knew that Eloise Bridgerton was a spinster, and so he’d proposed, figuring that she’d be homely and unassuming, and more than a little desperate for an offer of marriage. Except . . . she wasn’t. The beautiful woman on his doorstep was anything but quiet, and when she stopped talking long enough to close her mouth, all he wanted to do was kiss her . . . and more.

Did he think she was mad? Eloise Bridgerton couldn’t marry a man she had never met! But then she started thinking . . . and wondering . . . and before she knew it, she was in a hired carriage in the middle of the night, on her way to meet the man she hoped might be her perfect match. Except . . . he wasn’t. Her perfect husband wouldn’t be so moody and ill-mannered, and while Phillip was certainly handsome, he was a large brute of a man, rough and rugged, and totally unlike the London gentlemen vying for her hand. But when he smiled . . . and when he kissed her . . . the rest of the world simply fell away, and she couldn’t help but wonder . . . could this imperfect man be perfect for her?
I've only really cared about Eloise's story as I've watched the show. I know it'll be a couple of years before the TV show gets to her story so I decided to read her book. I don't mind that she becomes a mother to two kids immediately. I find it strange when people say they don't like the rebellious one being tied down to motherhood. I think she fits the role quite well. Now Phillip was a whole other story. I really like the actor who's playing him so I tried my best to picture him. He is this shy, nerdy, broody guy who I did like at some points like when he stood up for his kids. He clearly wants to be a good father but never has a good example. But, the way he talks sometimes... I don't see how Eloise doesn't throttle him. He's a bit of a fool, not knowing what it means to be a husband. And then there were just points of the two of them arguing and then having an intimate moment. Their story kept going back and forth that way. I really do hope I see an improvement in his character in the show. I hope he actually listens to everything Eloise is saying like that she has four brothers! He kept forgetting what she wrote him about and he's trying to court her... But I have hope based on some small moments that he could be one of the better partners to a Bridgerton. I'm glad I at least know how Eloise's story is going to go but if Anthony forces her into marrying him and she doesn't fight him I'm going to be so annoyed.



DO YOU SCORE GOALS ONLY FOR YOURSELF?

The newly formed team of Isagi, Nagi, and Barou head to their next rival battle, where they face Kunigami, Chigiri, and Reo. Isagi knows their victory will depend on the team's ability to form a "chemical reaction" with their play styles. Isagi and Nagi have a fluid synergy, but Barou seems to be chafing against his new teammates... Who will emerge victorious from the battle of egos?!
So this is the battle I was looking for in the last volume! I loved how Isagi and Nagi took control. They were using Barou and his selfish ways. You can see how Isagi's strategic skills have improved. I wish that his team would be first to score though. I am annoyed with the ending but excited about what it means for the next round.



Evie once again leaves her world behind to rescue Blight Harbor’s ghosts in this second book in the bone-chilling middle grade Blight Harbor trilogy that’s reminiscent of Doll Bones and Small Spaces.

Evie Von Rathe has been home for only a few weeks from her adventure in the strange world of seven houses when Blight Harbor’s beloved ghosts begin to disappear. Did they leave without saying goodbye, or has something gone horribly wrong? Soon Evie is invited to a mysterious council meeting, where she learns about the Dark Sun Side and a terrible secret.

Yes, the ghosts have gone missing. And that means serious trouble.

With the help of an eleven-year-old (or 111-year-old, but who’s counting) ghost named Lark, trusty Bird, and a plump ghost spider, Evie must find a way to defeat the vicious Nighthouse Keeper responsible for the missing ghosts, save her otherworldly friends, and find her way home from the Dark Sun Side before she’s trapped there forever.
Middle-grade horror has captured me this year. I am still surprised by how heartwarming and scary it could get. Evie's descent to the other world, the Black Sun Side, wasn't as gripping as The Clackity. I thought The Clackity had two great and truly scary villains but in this one, I didn't feel it as much. However, I loved seeing a glimpse of the villain for the next story. I also liked that this time around it felt like things did truly go wrong for Evie. Everything wasn't as formulaic and easy for her but of course, there is always a happy ending. I think we needed to have a ghost story in this series since Blight Harbor is all about being haunted. I thought that Lark, a ghost girl, was a perfect companion for Evie in this adventure even though her presence technically slowed her down. It was good to learn and care for someone other than Evie. I'm pretty excited to see how this trilogy ends especially since it seems like Evie is finally going to go on an adventure to save her parents.



This readathon rejuvenated my reading. I was on a roll! I did feel like I focused on manga too much at the end but that's also the annoying thought I get sometimes thinking others will look down on manga or picture books. I know there are people out there who don't count them as reading. I'm trying to change that thinking this year. Overall, I'm thrilled with all the reading I got done. Looking back at my reading year so far I've had a surprisingly great year regarding the amount of books I've read and enjoyment. I have some ambitious plans in August where I've set up a few challenges for myself. I'm excited to show you all what I have cooked up!

Comments

back to top