Weekday Reading Experiment // How Much Can I Read While Balancing Everyday Life?

Image by Tabitha Turner
I started a weekend reading experiment to get myself to read more consistently. Then I thought well I kind of have to focus on the weekdays too if I want to be a consistent reader. I struggle with balancing my work life with my home life so I want to get to a point where I am just naturally reading all the time. Let's see how I did, shall we?


Week 1

I was a lot more realistic with my weekday reading plans compared to my weekend reading plans. I don't know in what world I thought I was going to read eight books during a weekend... I planned on reading four books this first week:

  • Rescue at Lake Wild by Terry Lynn Johnson - 208 pages (Middle Grade/ARC)
  • Ways to Grow Love by Renée Watson - 192 pages (Middle Grade/ARC)
  • Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories by Sandra Cisneros - 165 pages (Short Stories Collection)
  • The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson - 366 pages (YA/Reread of a Favorite)
Total: 880 pages

So based on my calculations (that are hopefully not wrong) that's 176 pages a day which shows how even if I'm trying to be realistic, I am still way off from reality. Here's what I actually read:

  • Day 1: Rescue at Lake Wild - 67 pages
  • Day 2: N/A
  • Day 3: The Unexpected Everything - 52 pages + Rescue at Lake Wild - 36 pages = 88 pages
  • Day 4: The Unexpected Everything - 53 pages + Rescue at Lake Wild - 85 pages = 138 pages
  • Day 5: Rescue at Lake Wild - 25 pages (completed book #1) + The Unexpected Everything - 48 pages = 73 pages
Total: 366 pages

Completely off of what I wanted to read but I got to finish a book and I was consistently reading except for one day. I'm actually pretty happy with this week looking back.

Week 2

Now I have been doing my weekend reading experiment in conjunction with this one so it seems I have learned to be less ambitious with my reading this time around:

  • Mustard, Milk, and Gin by Megan Denton Ray - 55 pages (Poetry Book/Project)
  • Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories by Sandra Cisneros - 165 pages (Short Stories Collection)
  • Ways to Grow Love by Renée Watson - 192 pages (Middle Grade/ARC)
Total: 418 pages

So much more reasonable. Like at least I learned something. I would like to eventually kick up my reading goal and watch a lot less YouTube but that's not going to happen anytime soon. And even if I did watch less I would most likely try more creative projects instead of reading more. Anyways, let's see how I did:

  • Day 1: Mustard, Milk, and Gin - 24 pages
  • Day 2: Mustard, Milk, and Gin - 20 pages
  • Day 3: Mustard, Milk, and Gin - 11 pages (book #2 complete) + Ways to Grow Love - 28 pages = 39 pages
  • Day 4: Woman Hollering Creek - 5 pages
  • Day 5: Woman Hollering Creek - 79 pages + Ways to Grow Love - 15 pages + Something is Killing the Children - 128 pages (book #3 complete) + Whispers in the Dark - 25 pages = 247 pages
Total: 335 pages

Well I read every day. Those 5 pages though... 😂 I learned about a readathon so I started reading horror towards the end. You might be able to tell but at this point and still today I am struggling with reading Ways to Grow Love probably because it's a sequel but it also jumps around a lot without that much cohesion. Woman Hollering Creek picked up but currently I'm stuck on a short story that I can't bring myself to read *sigh* You might also notice that I read the majority of my pages on Friday probably after realizing I'd only read 88 pages until then. So at least I pulled through at the end and was close to my page count from last week.

Week 3

I have to preface this week by saying I realized how much I should not be doing readathons. I even wrote a discussion about it because it damaged my page count this particular week. I may have been having a bad week too but the readathon did not help. I also expected myself to read 1,000 pages in 7 days which if you've seen this post and the weekday one you know that was really stretching my reading. I didn't have a plan of what I wanted to read surprisingly but this is what I got to read in five days:

  • Day 1: Invisible Girl - 36 pages 
  • Day 2: Whispers in the Dark - 119 pages
  • Day 3: N/A
  • Day 4: Los Tipos Malos - 46 pages
  • Day 5: N/A
Total: 201 pages

I don't know why having unrealistic expectations for my own experiment and for a readathon had different outcomes. I read at least 100 pages less than I usually did. I think that readathons are just not for me unfortunately. 

Conclusion

I compared my results with weekends vs. weekdays and of course I read more over the weekend. Less stress and more time will do that for you. I think on average I can safely say that I will easily read 600 pages a week in total which isn't bad. That's 2,400 pages a month on average. Now, my goal was to get myself reading consistently but I think the last week threw it off. I definitely read more for those three weeks than I had been so I did improve my reading consistency. I have noticed since I haven't been tracking my pages every week that I haven't been reading as much or not as much as I would like. I've read very randomly when there are a couple of books I am still in the middle of. I never want to force myself to read a book but I want to finish three books that I am currently reading already! I think if I spaced things out more where I read multiple books, was more realistic with my weekly goals, and tracked how many pages I read I would see a difference. I am going to start tracking my reading again to see if I can be consistent over a longer period of time. I also like splitting up page goals by the weekdays and weekends because the number goal is a lot less daunting (which is probably why I did badly with the readathon reading at the end). 

How do you balance your reading during weekdays?

Comments

  1. During the week, I usually end up reading while I'm catching up on tv shows, especially after my husband goes to bed (always earlier than me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You watch TV and read at the same time? Wow, I sometimes start a book while watching a video but then I eventually have to pause and focus on my book.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top