On My TBR Shelf // Time Travel, Disability Rep, and More

Image by Joel Muniz

I haven't talked about any books I've been interested in a while. I've wanted to show you a few newish books and some a little older that I've discovered recently and put on my tbr shelf. I haven't added any of these to my Goodreads shelf. I've been mostly using my StoryGraph so you won't know which books I picked. Let me know if you are interested or have read any of them.

History and the speculative collide with the modern world when a group of high school girls form a secret society after discovering they can communicate with boys from the past, in this powerful look at female desire, jealousy, and the shifting lines between friendship and rivalry.
I added Mercury Boys to my tbr because BooksandLala talked about being excited to read it. I have apparently gotten over my fear of time travel because I'm interested in reading this.

Two lives. The one you wanted. The one that wanted you.

Her birthday should be like any other night.

One minute Kelly’s a free-spirited artist in Chicago going to her best friend’s art show opening. The next, she opens a door and mysteriously emerges in her Michigan hometown. Suddenly her life is unrecognizable: She’s got twelve years of the wrong memories in her head and she’s married to Eric, a man she barely knew in high school.
I added The Other Me thanks to BooksandLala again. This is kind of an alternative reality, don't trust that husband, technology thriller..? It's weird so I'll read it.

After a gunshot leaves her paralyzed, Barbara Gordon enters the Arkham Center for Independence, where Gotham's teens undergo physical and mental rehabilitation. Now using a wheelchair, Barbara must adapt to a new normal, but she cannot shake the feeling that something is dangerously amiss. Within these walls, strange sounds escape at night; patients go missing; and Barbara begins to put together pieces of what she believes to be a larger puzzle.
I was looking for books with disability representation and was reminded that The Oracle Code featuring Barbara Gordon was a thing. I love her as Batgirl so this will be a new story arc to explore.

From the beloved author of The House on Mango Street: a richly illustrated compilation of true stories and nonfiction pieces that, taken together, form a jigsaw autobiography: an intimate album of a literary legend's life and career.
I really loved A House on Mango Street and thought the intro was so interesting that I'd love to read her biography A House of My Own so it's finally on my tbr.

A groundbreaking collection of first-person writing on the joys and challenges of the modern disability experience: Disability Visibility brings together the voices of activists, authors, lawyers, politicians, artists, and everyday people whose daily lives are, in the words of playwright Neil Marcus, “an art…an ingenious way to live.”
Disability Visibility is a book I've seen people talking about lately. I want to read it because I've read and enjoyed so many fiction books with disability representation it would be nice to read a nonfiction one. 

From the author of the acclaimed Roll with It comes a moving novel about a girl with a sensory processing disorder who has to find her own voice after her whole world turns upside down.
Tune It Out is another one I chose for the disability representation. I've never read a book with a main character that has a sensory processing disorder so this will be a unique reading experience for me. I love that she loves singing and I want to see how she manages that with her processing disorder. 

Victoria Secord, a 14-year-old Alaskan dogsled racer, loses her way on a routine outing with her dogs. With food gone and temperatures dropping, her survival, and that of her dogs and the mysterious boy she meets in the woods, is entirely up to her.

I've known about Ice Dogs since it first came out but never put it on my tbr. I recently read and enjoyed the author's book Rescue at Lake Wild so I want to read this finally. I even randomly have a bookmark of this book so let's read it shall we?

Kally never believed herself to be a person worthy of love, but when an intoxicating man she considered out of her league pursues her, she risks everything to be with him. Later, when tragedy strikes, truths are revealed that leave Kally brokenhearted and untrusting.

Eight years later, Kally is a successful pastry chef running the café she’d always dreamed of owning. With a home of her own, a profession she’s passionate about, and the support and love of friends and family, Kally is content with the life she has carved out for herself.

Until the day Max Vardaxis walks into her café…

I haven't read enough foodie books this year so I was looking for some and found Love is What You Bake of It. It looks like lots of fun with some drama mixed in. Should be good! 

As a child Helen Macdonald was determined to become a falconer. She learned the arcane terminology and read all the classic books, including T.H. White's tortured masterpiece, The Goshawk, which describes White's struggle to train a hawk as a spiritual contest. When her father dies and she is knocked sideways by grief, she becomes obsessed with the idea of training her own goshawk. She buys Mabel for £800 on a Scottish quayside and takes her home to Cambridge, embarking on the long, strange business of trying to train this wildest of animals.
I'm sure you know about this book but I recently added it to my tbr because it is one that I have been interested in a while. Thanks to abookolive no doubt I want to read as many nature/animal books that sound cool and H is for Hawk is one of them. 

Moving, memorable, and a mirror for anyone at a crossroads, OLIVE has a little bit of all of us. Told with humor and great warmth, this is a modern tale about the obstacle course of adulthood and the challenges of having--and deciding not to have--children.

Funnily enough, this wasn't recommended by abookolive but it is named Olive. I want to have kids but Olive shows the perspective of someone who doesn't. I've never heard of a book centered around this and there is just something that appealed to me about this one.  

Are you interested in any of these?

What have you recently added on your tbr?

Comments

  1. I hope you enjoy these! I'm definitely hoping to read Olive soon. I'm someone who doesn't want children, and I feel like there aren't enough books with that perspective. Plus I really like the author's podcast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope so too (:
      I didn't know the author had a podcast. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. Love Is What You Bake of It sounds really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely up your alley! I have it on my tbr so I hope to get to it this summer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top