Mother Daughter Book Club Review // When You See Me


FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy and Sergeant Detective DD Warren have built a task force to follow the digital bread crumbs left behind by deceased serial kidnapper Jacob Ness. And when a disturbing piece of evidence comes to light, they decide to bring in Flora Dane who has personal experience of being imprisoned by Ness.

Their investigations take them to a small town deep in the hills of Georgia where something seems to be deeply wrong.

What at first seems like a Gothic eeriness soon hardens into something much more sinister as they discover that for all the evil Jacob committed while alive, his worst secret is still to be revealed.

Quincy and DD must summon their considerable skills and experience to crack the most disturbing case of their careers - and Flora must face her own past directly in the hope of saving others.

When You See Me was me and my mom's second book club read. It was her turn to pick a book so we went to the library and she picked up a detective story.... Something you may not know about me but just reading a book's summary with a crime aspect to it makes me want to fall asleep so needless to say I was worried but I was up for the challenge.

Unexpectedly liked this book, so success! This is the eleventh book in the series. The main character of this series is D.D. Warren who is a Boston detective. She was cool. She instantly caught on that someone was in danger and got them some help. But let's be honest. Flora was the star of the show. She is one of a few perspectives you'll be reading from but she's the best. She was a former victim of an evil man she ended up shooting and killing. She and her sweetheart of a computer nerd boyfriend are consultants for this FBI case that agent Kimberly Quincy brought them in on. She is super badass. She carries around a knife with her because she never wants to be a victim again. And she's on a crusade to help the girls who were killed by her capture. Basically, she wants them to be remembered. Me and my mom both want to read her story. It's pretty brutal what she went through but her story seems to go along with what happened after she escaped and became a sort of vigilante. 

I did have an issue with a couple of things. First of all, someone names a girl the whitest thing you can name a Spanish girl. Like no imagination. It drove me up the wall. Second, the ending made no sense. I looked it up and it's nearly impossible to die that way unless that person was unconscious or doing it on purpose. But maybe I missed something. The ending felt rushed. I also got confused with some of the different townspeople and who they were. I even got the FBI agent and detective mixed up from time to time but I contribute that to reading the eleventh book in a series I've never read before.

For me to like this even a little was a huge surprise. I think it definitely had some flaws but the reading experience was fun especially since me and my mom were discussing it together. I can't for sure say that I like detective novels but I can't say I think I would hate them all. I might just give them a chance now but it would have to be with a popular series or with a main character that had a background like Flora. 

Have you ever read a detective series?

Comments

  1. That's great that you enjoyed this book even though you don't normally gravitate to crime/detective stories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top