Tigers, Not Daughters // Book Discussion Announcement

The Torres sisters dream of escape. Escape from their needy and despotic widowed father, and from their San Antonio neighborhood, full of old San Antonio families and all the traditions and expectations that go along with them. In the summer after her senior year of high school, Ana, the oldest sister, falls to her death from her bedroom window. A year later, her three younger sisters, Jessica, Iridian, and Rosa, are still consumed by grief and haunted by their sister’s memory. Their dream of leaving Southtown now seems out of reach. But then strange things start happening around the house: mysterious laughter, mysterious shadows, mysterious writing on the walls. The sisters begin to wonder if Ana really is haunting them, trying to send them a message—and what exactly she’s trying to say.

In a stunning follow-up to her National Book Award–longlisted novel All the Wind in the World, Samantha Mabry weaves an aching, magical novel that is one part family drama, one part ghost story, and one part love story.
I've recently have felt the need to make a huge shift in my reading. Not only to read more diversely but to read Hispanic authors who write Hispanic POV's. I've read very little Hispanic POV's even though I am Hispanic myself. As a result, I've decided to try my hand at weekly book discussions on a book I've chosen at the start of each month. I plan to do these discussions on books I feel passionate about reading so you might see more contemporaries than anything. I also plan to read and discuss books from middle grade, young adult, and adult perspectives. 

The first book I've chosen is Tigers, Not Daughters by Samantha Mabry. Samantha has Mexican and Puerto Rican heritage. Her grandmother is a Garcia (like me!) who she credits with the magical elements in her writing. She's written two other young adult novels, A Fierce and Subtle Poison and All the Wind in the World. She teaches writing and Latinx Literature at a community college in Texas. I'm very excited to read this young adult magical realism novel and I hope you will join me. Below I included some interviews Samantha Mabry has done for her previous and current books. The interviews have made me so much more interested in her writing. Also, guess what? Julia Alvarez gave a quote on this book and said, "Move over, Louisa May Alcott! Samantha Mabry has written her very own magical Little Women for our times." Yeah, I've gotten ten times more excited just reading that quote too.

Interviews

#OurVoces - Happy Book Birthday! #OurVoces Presents Samantha Mabry, author of ‘All The Wind in the World’

Latinxs in Kid Lit - Author Samantha Mabry on her Debut Novel, a Student’s Shrug, and Straddling Two Cultures

Publisher's Weekly - Q & A with Samantha Mabry

Brazos Bookstore - Joy Interviews Samantha Mabry, author of TIGERS NOT DAUGHTERS

Rich in Color - Q&A with Samantha Mabry

Discussion Schedule

For the next four Thursdays this month, I will be discussing my thoughts on the pages I've read in the past week. I say pages because the chapters aren't numbered. If you are following along you can leave your thoughts in the comments. If you aren't interested in the discussion, I'll be posting a review of my thoughts at the beginning of August. 

  • Thursday, July 9th - Pages 1 - 70
  • Thursday, July 16th - Pages 71 - 136
  • Thursday, July 23rd - 137 - 207
  • Thursday, July 30th - 208 - 280

Let me know what you think of Tigers, Not Daughters in the comments below.
Are you interested in reading it or are you waiting on the review?

Comments

back to top