April 2020 TBR / O.W.L.'s Magical Readathon

Image by Sabina S.

The O.W.L.'s Magical Readathon is back! I participated last year and became a Herbologist. This year I'm going to study to be a Trader of Magical Tomes (i.e. a Bookseller). I'll be also taking part in Animagus Training and Merpeople Linguistics. This is one of the most fun readathon's I've ever taken part in. If you are taking your O.W.L.'s this month let me know what career you are trying to achieve!

Last month I went crazy with romances including historical romances. I've been in such a mood read phase lately that I plan to give myself a huge list of books I've been wanting to read. I read 18 books last month so my list will be ambitious especially since I'm working from home. First, let's look at the books I plan to read for my O.W.L.'s exam:


Ancient Runes


Heart Rune: Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title


This was the worst prompt to figure out a title for. I originally decided on Queen of Hearts but I listened to the audiobook for about an hour and although interesting, I'm not feeling it as much as I would like to. So then I spent literal hours looking for a book with a heart in the title or cover that I wanted to read. I was going to go with another one to just have a book and then I thought about this favorite of mine sitting on my shelf. It's a pretty pink book. It's a romance. What are the odds that it has a heart on the cover? Such luck! I absolutely love this book. I Wish for You is an indie romance that I recommend everyone read who loves romance. It's perfect. Here's a review I wrote some years ago.


Charms


Lumos Maxima: Read a book with a white cover


I haven't been in the mood to read Sadie until now. I still have some trepidation because everyone seems to love it, but with all the romances I've read, I need a good suspenseful mystery to breeze through. I'm planning on listening to the audiobook since I've heard that it enhances the experience of the story. I've also missed YA. I feel like I haven't read many this year or at least not many good ones. Sadie sounds like it will be a guaranteed four to five star book for me.


History of Magic


Witch Hunts: Read a book featuring witches/wizards.


Bingeing almost five seasons of Once Upon a Time has made me crave fairy tale retellings. My brother got me Dorothy Must Die for Christmas and it's about time I read one of the books I got from that day. I've already had one person tell me that they've loved this book from a Goodreads group so I'm anticipating it to be a perfect read for me.


Transfiguration


Animagus lecture: Read a Book/Series that Includes Shapeshifting.


The last book in the Hex Hall series was spoiled by someone on Goodreads. I haven't been able to get the ending out of my head for about eight years or so. I remember loving this book and the sequel. I've been complaining about this series being spoiled to me for years. It's time I actually finish this series. I'm so incredibly excited about rereading Hex Hall. I first read it at a time where my love of reading soared like crazy. I'm expecting to fall in love with it all over again.


Arithmancy


Magical Qualities of number 2: Balance/Opposites - Read Something Outside Your Favorite Genre.


My favorite genres are contemporary romance and fantasy. Made Things is a science fiction novel. I hardly read science fiction anymore (when I was a teenager all those dystopian and Neal Shusterman were my jam). I've completely forgotten what Made Things what about but I'm stuck on wanting to read just based on the stop motion looking cover. Adrian Tchaikovsky is a popular author in sci-fi these days so I should read him since I want to get into adult sci-fi. Slowly it seems.


Potions


Shrinking Solution: Read a Book Under 150 Pages.


Horror is a genre that I got into last year and I was so excited to read more of. But I've read like two horror manga and that's it. I'm not regretting not reading as much horror as I wanted by the end of this year. Prosper's Demon is short and has a cool concept so I'm going to break into horror starting this month.


Herbology


Mimbulus Mimbletonia: Read a book with a title that starts with an M.


I've heard such good things about Monstress that I thought why not. I like the idea of the main character having a link to a monster. I'm curious where the story will take me. The steampunk looking cover is also drawing me in. I'm optimistic that this will be the start of a series that I will love.


The Rest of My TBR



It's high time I read a classic since I have a goal this year to read more classics. I have read none. Nope, I've never read Charlotte's Web. While you were all reading Charlotte's Web in elementary school, I was reading Because of Winn-Dixie (a beautiful masterfully written middle grade book). I do remember vaguely watching the movie or at least the end of it. I don't remember if I cried but knowing me, I will cry by the end of this book.

I'm being ambitious with The Mill on the Floss. It's another classic and a hefty one at that at 612 pages. I want to read this one specifically because it reminds me of the time of North and South. It's a completely different setting and plot but it's got that sweeping dramatic classic feel. If you know what I mean. 

How to be a Good Creature has such a cute cover. I just want to read about some animals. It's seems like such a gentle book you would read on a lazy day and I plan on having some of those on the weekends. Plus, why not read more nonfiction books that aren't on my must read nonfiction books of 2020 list? *Sigh*

I know it's not summer. But if you lived in Florida, then you would know that it feels like summer. I already got a sunburn walking outside two days ago for 45 minutes. Granted, there was no shade around so that was mostly my fault but still. It's crazy hot over here already and that makes me think of beach reads and Summer of Salt is that book I would take to read on a beach. And the magical realism elements have me so pumped to read it too. 



I meant what I said when I said I wanted to dive into reading more horror. I've been wanting to read The Other this whole year so it's time I read it. I even bought it which is something I rarely do. The Other is a classic horror. It's a psychological one too which is making me think of one of my favorite books, The Haunting of Hill House, so I'm expecting so much scary goodness. I just have to remember not to read it at night like I did with The Haunting of Hill House. Such a mistake.

I can not for the life of me remember which horror blog I discovered Sing Your Sadness Deep on. I learned on that random horror blog that Laura Mauro was a finalist for the Shirley Jackson award so I was sold right away. I'm not someone who reads short stories. I think I've read maybe two in my life. But, I'm willing to give this one a chance.

A Danger to Herself and Others was a random book I found while I was endlessly looking for books on Hoopla. I've checked out way too many ebooks and audiobooks lately since I can't obtain them through a library branch. It's a YA Horror that I've never heard of before. Shocking for me. I always think I know most of the YA books that come out each year since I research them religiously. The MC is in an institution and I'm assuming the mystery of why will be revealed. 

I can't believe I haven't read A Little Hatred yet. It's a military fantasy that reminds me of Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy! I love that game. That's what I get for not reading it as soon as I got it from the library. The pique time of me wanting to read it is over but I'm slowly getting back interested in the story. I think I'll have to read a few chapters each day until I'm in love with this epic fantasy. I'm realizing I'm missing adult fantasy too. The Book of the Ancestor series has ruined me.



Like I said when I wrote about Dorothy Must Die, I'm craving fairy tale retellings. And who happens to be my favorite fairy tale character? That's right, it's Little Red Riding Hood. I am so ready for this book! Bring it on. Bring on some thrilling, as I've been told gory, Little Red Riding Hood retelling please and thank you.

After reading the weirdness that is Bent Heavens, I wanted to read The June Boys because it has a strange mystery/thriller vibe that's unlike something I've read before. Not saying that I think a book about kidnapping (another one... do I need help? lol.) is anything like the craziness of Bent Heavens but it has that fast paced feel to it that I'm looking for this month.

Harley in the Sky snuck up on me. I didn't know anything about it before I ended up ordering it for my library branch. It's basically a Romeo and Juliet story but with two rival circuses. For some reason, I knew I had to read this book as soon as it came in to the library. I could see myself reading this as a teen and of course as an adult, easily. I don't know. That cover and synopsis is drawing me in.

Why I have not read the Slytherin love story that will be Shadows Between Us is beyond me. As you can tell, I really want tor read some fast paced YA books. I'm expecting great things from this book since it has been marketed as a Slytherin love story. Not actual Slytherin's in that they aren't wizards but they are two ambitious, cut throat main characters who fall in love. Yes, I know. I should have read you by now.



You know how I've weirdly wanted to read a good kidnapping story? (It's becoming an obsession.) Well I think 738 Days is what I've wanted. I've wanted to read this book for years and I finally just bought it as an ebook. It's the MC's story after her kidnapping and falling in love. I have such high hopes for this one!

I completely forgot I had I'll Meet You There checked out as an e-book last month. The adult romances and historical romances completely took over my reading. I'll Meet You There sounds like such a me book. Small town girl trying to escape and falling in love in the process. I've missed reading YA Contemporaries so much lately.

To Catch a Pirate has been on my TBR list almost since the very start of my Goodreads life. It's a cute YA pirate book that reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean romance. And I just want to read a pirate romance. That's my whole reasoning.

I accidentally fell upon a fan made video of Ruby Red. I ended up watching the movie on YouTube and becoming obsessed with wanting to read this book. The way the story goes is perfect for me right now. It's a fast paced romance. Although it has time travel (my worst enemy in books), I've been trying to get over my slightly irrational fear of reading books with time travel (I worry that time travel will be a thing that happens and will end my timeline. I know it's more than a slightly irrational fear. And yes, I do actually worry about it.). So I think I'll like this book despite the more than likely disruptions in time the main characters are sure to make. Rant over.

Anyone want to guess how many books I'll be able to read off this list in April? I'm pretty curious myself. I'm working from home but I read 18 books last month and the majority of time I was working out of the office. As you can tell, I'm hyped to repeat my success from March. Are you excited for any particular books this month? Is there a genre you've been missing like me? And are you participating in the O.W.L.'s? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

back to top