Bob's Burgers: Medium Rare + Mystic U | Graphic Novel Reviews

While Bob and Linda Belcher have their hands full running the family business, their kids Tina, Gene, and Louise have adventures that you won't believe! The producers, writers, and animators of the hit animated show Bob's Burgers proudly present all-original comic book stories, including hilarious installments of "Louise's Unsolved Mysteries & Curious Curiosities", "Tina's Erotic Friend Fiction", and "Gene's Rhymey Rhymes That Could One Day Be Songs." Whether it's Tina's daydreams of cloning back-up dancers or jungle misadventures, Louise's explorations of underground tunnels and time-stopping Wonder Wharf rides, Gene's lyrics that reimagine boring Aunt Gayle visits as epic journeys to fantasy worlds, the Belcher family hijinx are guaranteed to make you laugh!
If you enjoy the TV show, sarcastic humor, and eccentric families you'll enjoy Bob's Burgers: Medium Rare. Bob's Burgers is a truly funny, adult show. Louise is literally the best. Her schemes, diabolical laughter, and iconic voice makes her so lovable. Bob and Linda are hilariously typical parents with dry, mom and dad humor. Louise is a bit of a creep but I can also see her in me with her, "uuhhhhh" nervousness. And Gene, another weird personality with a love for music. I love all these characters and the side characters as well. Does the comic stack up?

I liked it. Medium Rare is a compilation of stories that are all new. Genederella and Bizarre Bizarre really saved the story aspect of this comic. I thought the other stories were just okay. I didn't like any of Tina's but all she talks about is butts and boys so that makes sense. I wanted more Bob and Linda, not just the kids. Also, Louise could have been funnier and more prominent in the story line. I love Louise the best so it's my preference to have more of her. Some of the art styles were ok to meh. Although, I enjoyed the alternative covers and pinups added. I still want to read on to see if the stories get better in the next volume. There is potential in this series.

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble | IndieBound

_________________________________________________________________________________

Leave the world of the mundane behind and step through the magical school doors of Mystik U!

After a tragic accident, a young Zatanna Zatara, under the guidance of Rose Psychic, enrolls in a mysterious university that teaches the mystical beings of the DCU how to master their unique brands of magic. Will Zatanna fit in with her new classmates (including the Enchantress, Sargon the Sorcerer, Faust and more!) and unlock her true potential?
I wanted to get to know Zatanna so this was a great start. I fell in love with Zatanna's character, her look, her powers, and her personality. I'm so sad that there are hardly any comics about her exclusively so I'll take what I can get.

The story's introduction was gripping. Mystic U starts in an apocalyptic future. One of the character's decides to time travel back into the past to change the fate of the world. Then we move into the now present where Zatanna just learns of her power in a tragic way. She's whisked off to Mystik U in order for her to learn to control her powers as well as being a possible suspect of this impending danger that's lurking inside one of the students at the university.

The in and out of time (one moment in the past and another in the present) wasn't transitioned wonderfully. My biggest gripe was that there was a lot of skipping around. I would have liked to see Zatanna acclimate more into the magical world, learn about the other characters, and seen the progressive romance between her and Faust. I liked the plot and the mystery that came with it, Zatanna of course, and the other characters. I just wish I knew more about them. I hope this series continues and I can't wait to read more about Zatanna in the future.



Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble | IndieBound

_________________________________________________________________________________

Who's your favorite character on Bob's Burgers?
Do you have an unknown or non-mainstream favorite character?

Comments

  1. I've never seen Bob's Burgers but I know a lot of people love it. The comic does sound like it has potential- I hope it keeps getting better! And Mystik U definitely sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Bob's Burgers the comic gets better since I love the show so much. Mystik U was dark and fun. Zatanna is such a cool character.

      Delete
  2. These are great and Bob's Burger would make a fun stocking stuffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of adding comics to stockings. Great idea for the future!

      Delete
  3. I love Bob’s Burgers! It’s one of my favorite shows. I think I need that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. I need to get back into it though. I haven't watched it in a while.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen Bob's Burgers- but these characters look familiar- so maybe I saw an ad for the show or saw a comic. Sounds like a series with a lot of potential. Glad you enjoyed Mystic U so much. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an adult cartoon that's really funny. Not like South Park adult or anything like that but some adult humor that most people can enjoy with fun characters. Mystik U was so much fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top