Book Haul: August 2nd, 2014


I hardly buy so many books for myself in one go so I thought I'd share what books I bought the other day.

A Really Awesome Mess by Trish Cook and Brendan Halpin:

"Two teenagers. Two very bumpy roads taken that lead to Heartland Academy.
Justin was just having fun, but when his dad walked in on him with a girl in a very compromising position, Justin's summer took a quick turn for the worse. His parents' divorce put Justin on rocky mental ground, and after a handful of Tylenol lands him in the hospital, he has really hit rock bottom.

Emmy never felt like part of her family. She was adopted from China. Her parents and sister tower over her and look like they came out of a Ralph Lauren catalog-- and Emmy definitely doesn't. After a scandalous photo of Emmy leads to vicious rumors around school, she threatens the boy who started it all on Facebook.

Justin and Emmy arrive at Heartland Academy, a reform school that will force them to deal with their issues, damaged souls with little patience for authority. But along the way they will find a ragtag group of teens who are just as broken, stubborn, and full of sarcasm as themselves. In the end, they might even call each other friends." - Goodreads Summary

Initial Thoughts: I read a couple of pages of each book before I bought them. For this one I got the sense that this was going to be a rude/crude humor type of book. It's not every day that I read a book with that type of humor but it sounds like the characters will be sarcastic and fun which is what I'm really looking forward to in this book.

Catch a Falling Star by Kim Culbertson:

"Nothing ever happens in Little, CA. Which is just the way Carter Moon likes it. But when Hollywood arrives to film a movie starring former child star turned PR mess Adam Jakes, everything changes. Carter's town becomes a giant glittery set and, much to her annoyance, everyone is starry-eyed for Adam. Carter seems to be the only girl not falling all over herself to get a glimpse of him. Which apparently makes her perfect for the secret offer of a lifetime: playing the role of Adam's girlfriend while he's in town, to improve his public image, in exchange for a hefty paycheck. Her family really needs the money and so Carters agrees. But it turns out Adam isn't at all who she thought he was. As they grow closer, their relationship walks a blurry line between what's real and what's fake, and Carter must open her eyes to the scariest of unexplored worlds - her future. Can Carter figure out what she wants out of life AND get the guy? Or are there no Hollywood endings in real life?" - Goodreads Summary

Initial Thoughts: This book sounds like a typical light romance. The main reason I picked it up was because of a review I read a while back from another blogger. The friendship between the main character and her best friends is what I'm really looking forward to. I remember really being excited about that part of the story so I picked this one up.

Twerp by Mark Goldblatt:

Julian Twerski isn't a bully. He's just made a big mistake. So when he returns to school after a weeklong suspension, his English teacher offers him a deal: if he keeps a journal and writes about the terrible incident that got him and his friends suspended, he can get out of writing a report on Shakespeare. Julian jumps at the chance. And so begins his account of life in sixth grade--blowing up homemade fireworks, writing a love letter for his best friend (with disastrous results), and worrying whether he's still the fastest kid in school. Lurking in the background, though, is the one story he can't bring himself to tell, the one story his teacher most wants to hear.

Inspired by Mark Goldblatt's own childhood growing up in 1960s Queens, Twerp shines with humor and heart. This remarkably powerful story will have readers laughing and crying right along with these flawed but unforgettable characters. - Goodreads Summary

Initial Thoughts: This is a book when I first read about it I was like "I NEED this book!" It just seems so heartwarming and different. The few pages I read reminded me of The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman. Maybe because it is set in New York. It just look like it'll have some great storytelling. 
 

I also went to the library and found this gem. Jenny Han happened to be the first author's book that I've ever reviewed. It was a children's book so it'll be weird to read a young adult book by her. Still this book sounds really fun and light. I've heard great things about it as well so hopefully it's as good as I expect it to be!

Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control. - Goodreads Summary

After all this book buying and borrowing I discovered a website that you can buy books on the cheap with a reasonable amount for shipping called bookoutlet.com. If I want to save money and buy a lot of books it looks like this is the place to go. Book Depository is also a great place I'm sure a lot of you know about already. In case you haven't it has free shipping no matter how many books you buy and if I'm not mistaken it ships anywhere. The books are also reasonably priced of course.

So what books have you recently bought or borrowed from the library or a friend? Any great deals on books that made you super happy? Do you have any other book website suggestions? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

  1. Twerp sounds really good-I'll have to look for this one at my library :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved To All the Boys I've Loved Before! I thought it was very entertaining and cute. I hope you like it. :) A Really Awesome Mess wasn't a very memorable read for me, but I remember finding it quite readable at the time. I look forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love that you loved it To All the Boys I've Loved Before. It always encourages me to read a certain book when someone's told me how much they enjoyed reading it. I thought A Really Awesome Mess was a great read in it's own right.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top