
July didn't go as planned. I read barely anything but September is a new month and since the 15th starts Hispanic Heritage Month I'm only read books by Latinos. I've read 13 books by and about Latinos this year. Never before have I done this. I'm very happy I've focused on reading diversely this year. It's helped me read more books that are part of my culture/Latin American culture. I'm even thinking of doing an updated recommendation list before Hispanic Heritage Month to showcase my top favorite reads later this month.
Also, I wanted to share my reading challenge updates. I have not been paying attention to these lists at all but I have gone up percentage wise in each category since the beginning of July. With Read My Age I've gone up by 10%. For the YA challenge I've gone up 2%. And for the middle grade challenge I've gone up 3%. I plan to refocus on these challenges in November since October is going to be my spooky month. I purged a bunch of books from these challenges last time but I think I need to do it again or is that cheating? 🤔 There are a good amount of books that I am just not interested in but for the sake of the challenge of reading diverse books in each age range I might just replace books with others which I've done in the past. If I go that route I still have to read 17 adult books, 15 YA books, and 27 middle grade books. I don't think I really planned to read this much when I first created this challenge. It was more of a wish list of mostly diverse books to read but dang I need to read more middle grade. It would be nice to get 100% on one of these categories while the others if I can get 75% done I'll be happy. I'll plan things out and reveal any changes at the end of the month.
Currently Reading

I am currently listening to No Place on Earth which I must have forgotten the synopsis to because I have no idea what's going on. Some astral projection type stuff idk... The narrator is doing a good job so maybe I end up loving this.
Book club

I'm going to try to read Mutual Discord for my local bookstore's book club. I'm not necessarily interested in the book since I don't love the cover and that sways me the most about whether I want to read a book. But I like the community aspect of reading all the same book so I am going to give it a try. My theme for my online club is keep it cozy so I might read The Pumpkin Princess and the Forever Night (which is not Latin at all) like I wanted to last month or I might read Mango, Mamba, and Murder.
Most Anticipated


I am the most excited about Just Say Yes. I think it's such a fun and silly concept that I'll have a good time with. 10 Things I Hate About Prom is the other book I am most anticipated to read just because I loved the author's other book. I am expecting good things even though this one isn't queer from my understanding.
Second Tier Excitement



Now these next books aren't bad or or anything but they are lower in my priority list. Since I hardly read in August I don't know how much I'll realistically get to this month. I do want to read The Bubblegum Shoes series sequel since I enjoyed the first book so much. How to Love You When You're Gone is another one that I was planning on reading a couple months ago but never got around to. Lastly, Second First Dates features a demisexual main character which I never see in books so hopefully it's good. The author's last book doesn't have the best ratings... but maybe that was a fluke.
Overall, I think I have a good reading month ahead of me. Now to obsess over which challenge books to keep and which to replace...
Comments
Post a Comment