Once Upon a Readathon TBR + Current Reads

Once Upon a Readathon is a team-based readathon during January 2024 hosted by Hannah Blackwell. The objective is to get as many points as possible for your team to win at the end of the month. You can read anything but you get extra points for things like page count, winter setting, retellings based on your team mascot, and more. 

I chose to be on Team Frost Bears cohosted by Kaylani SimplyMe and Abby Salter

Frost Bears are the strongest and fiercest creatures in the Icelands. They have the power to create protective wards, which are most often used to protect their young and some have the ability to shape shift at certain times of the year.

Since I could read whatever I wanted I thought this would be an enjoyable readathon to join. They have a discord where you can chat with your team and have buddy reads. You can join the challenge any time all month long. Let me know if you've joined and what team you are on.

What I've Read So Far


Turtle Bread - My first book of the year was middle of the road. Lots of nice moments and baking but I couldn't get over how short it was for what it was trying to do. I am interested in trying out one of the author's recipes in the future.

Give Me a Sign - I found it very interesting to read about the POV of someone who has hearing aids. The varying levels of deafness and how they navigated the world around them. I did think there would be a bigger climax to the story. There was something important that happened but I feel like it was brushed away. I think it was just not trying to be that story. Anyway, it was great.

Currently Reading


Brick Dust and Bones - I am currently more than a quarter of the way through this supernatural middle grade. We've been getting some more kids interested in horror so this would be a great recommendation. I've just started so I'm getting to know Marius. I'm already liking how his only friend is a mermaid who is considered a monster and learning how his world works. 

Coming Up Next


The Cruel Prince - I finally gave in to the hype and decided to read this book. I won't be surprised if I love it because it's for sure something I would pick up if there wasn't so much hype around it. Let's see if it lives up to its popularity.

Medusa - I got this Greek mythology-inspired middle grade approved on NetGalley recently. I love the Percy Jackson series. I think this would be a good recommendation for the new wave of kids who are inevitably going to watch the Disney series and want more. I have high hopes!

Go Frost Bears!

Comments