Favorite Picture Books of 2023



I read a lot of picture books thanks to being a Children's Librarian. I have a goal next year to better document and share the picture books I'm reading on my blog. This is my first nudge to do so and I am excited to share my favorites of the year.

I read over 68 picture books this year. I don't care to keep track of my Storytime books so this list is based on everything minus those Storytime books. Narrowing everything down to my top favorites was difficult but I ended up with 13 favorite picture books. The placement of books on my list is based on the latest to most recent read. I hope to inspire you to pick one of these gems up at your local library.


Written by M.O. Yuksel, Illustrated by Mariam Quraishi

It's amazing what you can learn from such a short book. I had no idea who Fatima al-Fihri was before reading her story but now I'll never forget her. She had a librarian approach to building her school which is to make it free for everyone. I love that 1,200 years later her dream continues on.


Written by Margaret Aitken, Illustrated by Lenny Wen

Such a cute book! Marjorie likes things like crocheting and gardening which isn't the typical kid hobby. She wants so badly to join a club but only seniors are allowed so she dresses up as an old lady. Of course, she gets caught but it all works out in the end. The art style is perfect since it has cartoon characters but is painted in a way that feels like it was colored with crayons. It felt so homey and it was such a delight!


Written by Tasha Spillett-Sumner, Illustrated by Michaela Goade

I loved learning about the Inniniwak beliefs of an expecting mother. She gathers sacred items for her babies medicinal bundles that will always tie them to their heritage. There was a magical feel to the illustrations that I thought fit perfectly. 


Written by Tasha Spillett-Sumner, Illustrated by Salini Perera

Tasha Spillett-Sumner got on my favorites list twice so you know I enjoy her writing. Beautiful You, Beautiful Me was about a daughter who wanted to look just like her mom. Her mom would always respond, "You’re part of me, and I’m part of you. I’m beautiful like me, and you’re beautiful like you." 

I used to like comparing my dad's skin and mine since I am very fair-skinned while he is tan. I would do this when we were side by side and/or I was holding his hand. As a kid I thought our differences looked pretty together so this reminded me of that. Although it was the opposite with the little girl, I thought it was such a sweet story.


Written by Sylvia Walker

I couldn't help but feel emotional reading Hair to Share. Sometimes kids can be so unexpectedly profound and kind. Such a true friendship between Suri and Amaya.


Written by Alyssa Reynoso-Morris, Illustrated by Mariyah Rahman

Plátanos Are Love being my only foodie picture book favorite is a bit of a crime. I will for sure have to read more (I read seven this year) next year because for some reason I like getting myself hungry while reading. I felt at home reading this book since plátanos maduros are one of my favorite foods ever. I enjoyed the family bonding and learning about the importance of plátanos to the past, present, and future of the family in the story.


Written by Jennifer Torres, Illustrated by Sara Palacios

I had no idea who Dolores Huerta was before reading this picture book. Again a picture book shows me how much I'm slacking on knowledge. Lola Out Loud made me want to read more about Dolores and the United Farm Workers Union. 


Written by Carina Ho and Jesse Byrd, Illustrated by Monica Paola Rodriguez

I had no idea Mara was in a wheelchair. I was like why is everyone so against her dancing for the school's talent show. I assumed it had to do with the world Ho and Byrd built around Mara which was rather boring compared to bright, colorful Mara. I loved the reveal and how she owned her performance. I also enjoyed how supportive her mom was of her. Such a great read!


Written by Tiffany Hammond, Illustrated by Kate Cosgrove

“My son does not speak, but his ears work just fine. The words that you say go straight to his mind." - This line was written to perfection. If you've noticed I've got some great moms on this list of picture book favorites and this one was no exception. The rhyming story of a child's everyday life on the autism spectrum was pretty powerful, especially the mom's strength to stick up for her child. A great message for adults and kids alike. 


Written by Danielle Greendeer, Anthony Perry, and Alexis Bunten, Illustrated by Garry Meeches Sr.

You know by now I am learning so much from these picture books. It took me a second reading to understand that the spirit of corn named Weeâchumun was the Native American woman in the story. And what an interesting story that is weaved by no less than three writers! The artwork was fantastic too. I really hope to see their artistic talent in future books.



Written by Anna Lazowski, Illustrated by Penny Neville-Lee

Dark Cloud was recommended by Colby Sharp, a teacher who loves books on YouTube. It's about depression and allegorizing it as a dark cloud. There aren't that many words that really help lend to the deep emotion that is depression or even just worry or anxiety. Personally, this is such a beautiful story that I could have used it as a child.


Written and Illustrated by Alina Tysoe

Sometimes adorable illustrations and concepts are all I need. I liked the twist Tysoe added at the end. I think it's the perfect read for someone who's having trouble being brave at night. We were all afraid of the dark and monsters at one point in our life and this book really does a great job of easing that worry in the younger generation.


Written by Lid'ya C Moore, Illustrated by Niña Mata

I mean how could you not love this book? It's empowering, beautifully illustrated, written with an easy flow, and allows for empathetic discussion. Even if a child doesn't have vitiligo they can learn something new and maybe learn to love a part of them others may think to be too different or not so pretty. 

Are there any picture books that have stood out to you this year?

Comments