Reading for 24 Hours // Imagining New Fantasy Worlds, Relatable Laundry Struggles, and Girls Falling in Love

Surprise! I am actually reading. I have had such a slow go of it this year. I wanted to do something fun to jumpstart blogging for me again. I saw Hardback Hoarder doing this challenge last week and I subsequently watched a bunch more people do the same. 

Is it an insane idea to be up for 24 hours?

Yes.

Am I going to do it anyway?

Hell yeah. Let's do this.


Book #1: The Thirteenth Hour by Quinn Sosna-Spear

Twelve-year-old Rosemary has been an artist her whole life and especially loves drawing the incredible places from her Aunt Jo’s stories. But illustrating the stories doesn’t mean Rose believes them. And when Aunt Jo gives Rose a pocket watch with instructions on how to use it to access magical dream worlds, Rose just thinks Aunt Jo is being peculiar again.

While Rose is sleeping, however, she enters a fantastical place where each hour of the pocket watch takes her to a different world. There, Rose befriends a trio of outcasts with special powers and joins their war against the ominous Tall Man.

When a bully steals Rose’s watch, she can only look on in horror as dream and reality collide and he’s sucked into the Eleventh Hour. Now, Rosemary must gather magic from all twelve dream worlds to rescue the boy who makes her life a living nightmare.

Start Time: 6:10 a.m.

Hour 1 

Book: The Thirteenth Hour
Pages Read: 54
Total Progress: 54 pages read

I almost slept a little longer but I refuse to be awake longer than I needed to the next day so I got up and started reading The Thirteenth Hour. It started off so strong I am already in love. The world feels kind of like Wonderland/Oz. Rose is our main character who is having a rough go of it. She gets bullied by her former best friend's brother and isn't really seen by her parents. Her Aunt Jo told her about this magical world with twelve realms and how she would help save it. But she doesn't take it seriously. I won't go into too much but I will say that she can visit it in her dreams. She just met a character named Fleck in the Eleventh Hour.


Book #2: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit 

by Justin A. Reynolds

Twelve-year-old Eddie Gordon Holloway has concocted his most genius plan ever to avoid chores especially the dreaded L-A-U-N-D-R-Y. If he can wear all the clothes he owns, he'll only have to do the laundry once during his school break.

On the day of the highly-anticipated Beach Bash, Eddie's monstrous pile of dirty laundry is found by his mom. And Eddie's day has just taken a turn for the worst. Now he's stuck at home by himself, missing the bash, and doing his whole pile of laundry. But mid-cycle, the power goes out!

With his first load of laundry wet and the rest of his stuff still filthy, he sets out to explore the seemingly empty neighborhood in his glow-in-the-dark swim trunks, flip-flops, and a beach towel. He soon meets up with other neighborhood kids: newcomer Xavier (who was mid-haircut and has half his head shaved), Eddie's former friend Sonia (who has spent her entire break trying to beat a video game and was mid-battle with the final boss), and siblings Trey and Sage (who are dealing with major sibling drama).

As they group up to cover more ground and find out what happened, they realize that their families aren't coming back anytime soon. And as night falls, the crew realizes that they aren't just the only people left in the neighborhood, they might be the only people left anywhere.

Hour 2

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 6%
Total Progress: 54 pages read - 6% in audiobook

I have to get dressed and go to the gym. I'm going to the gym, beach, and hanging out with the parents today but also trying to read as much as possible. I started book 2 which is my audiobook called It's the End of the World and I'm in the Bathing Suit. So far it's cute and it fits me so well because I hate doing Laundry well specifically folding and putting away clothes once they are cleaned.

Hour 3

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 2%
Total Progress: 54 pages read - 8% in audiobook

I think I should have listened to more of this when I was eating breakfast but I didn't want to mess with the timer. I had trouble actually having it play since my phone connection is terrible where I live. I was at the gym too so couldn't even play it for very long before I hop into the shower.

Hour 4

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 6%
Total Progress: 54 pages read - 14% in audiobook

Our protagonist is pretty funny. His laundry scheme to wait until the end of summer to do all his laundry done got found out. He's trying to wiggle his way out of this mess by trying to suck up to his stepfather. His older brother being no help at all.

Hour 5

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 21%
Total Progress: 54 pages read - 35% in audiobook

Headed to the beach so I got a good amount listened to on the drive there. Eddie, our protagonist, is now forced to do the laundry and is home alone. 

Hour 6

Book: The Thirteenth Hour
Pages Read: 31 
Total Progress: 85 pages read - 35% in audiobook

At the beach now and before I get in the water I have to read some. It's already hour 6! But I am really into this fantasy. Things are happening with Jo, she might have a new friend named Alejandro (of course the new kid), and she's going back to the Eleventh Hour. I don't think she can deny that the world she dream about aren't dreams at all.

Hour 7

Book: The Thirteenth Hour
Pages Read: 47
Total Progress: 132 pages read - 35% in audiobook

Wow, Rose's mother is so stupid. She doesn't know her daughter because my mom would for sure know something was wrong and not push me when I don't want to do something. Interesting. Are they insinuating Rose is gay?

Hour 8

Book: The Thirteenth Hour
Pages Read: 38
Total Progress: 170 pages read - 35% in audiobook

I don't understand any of the parents in this book... There are also some really interesting plot points coming up and I'm curious to know where they lead.

Hour 9

Book: The Thirteenth Hour
Pages Read: 61
Total Progress: 231 pages read - 35% in audiobook

I'm at my parent's house reading and reading faster now. I'm feeling frustrated I haven't finished a book yet and it is already hour 9! Things are speeding up in the book as well. One side quest took her three pages to complete.

Hour 10

Book: The Thirteenth Hour
Pages Read: 49
Total Progress: 280 pages - 35% in audiobook

My Final Thoughts:


This could have been a series. It would have been nice to explore the world more with interesting conversations/interactions with side characters. 

I have a feeling that she didn't like her best friend romantically that maybe her friend did. It is also possible that she just wasn't dressing or acting like she was cool so there was an excuse to say that she was weird because she liked her best friend. I wish that part of the story was more clear because it could have been a nice scene either way. You shouldn't put in LGBT content haphazardly. It should have been a clear representation or nothing at all. 

It's funny how I am keeping track of what I am reading and how long it is taking me when this book is about a clock world. 

Overall, I would give this 3.5 stars. It had a stronger beginning and should have been a series or at least longer so that we could get more detail. However, I loved the world and cared for Rose. I could see myself as a kid wanting to draw things so I can imagine them coming to life. 

(Book 1 Complete! ╰(*°▽°*)╯)

Hour 11

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 15%
Total Progress: 280 pages - 50% in audiobook

I got to listen to my audiobook more on the drive home. I'm officially halfway through woohoo! I finally feel like the main plot is happening since the power went down. I'm still enjoying where it's taking me nonetheless.

Hour 12

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 12%
Total Progress: 280 pages - 62% in audiobook

It seems like nothing weird is going to happen in this book. I don't know based on the title and summary I assumed either aliens or the apocalypse was going to start. The whole cast of characters on the cover have gathered around so let's see how that shakes things up. There are a lot of side chapters where Eddie is talking directly to the reader which is making the story drag out a little at this point. Other times I find them funny because Eddie's personality and the way he acts around his friends is entertaining. 

Hour 13

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 7%
Total Progress: 280 pages - 69% in audiobook

I now finally get it. It feels like the end of Eddie's world! On account of him not going to the beach day event. The game with Sonya was boring to me. Didn't make any sense. I started planning my Colorado trip with my brother so I couldn't get far into this book at this hour. I have been cleaning things slowly while I listen to the audiobook which has been nice. 

Hour 14

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 16%
Total Progress: 280 pages - 85% in audiobook

The group is just theorizing at this point. I'm also wondering how no one has come home by now. It doesn't look like anything big happened like aliens or something. It might just be a road block off or something. Who knows?

Hour 15

Book: It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit
Percentage Listened: 15%
Total Progress: 280 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

My Final Thoughts: 

It really ended like that? So I guess there will be a sequel. I assumed this was a standalone. The next one better have some sci-fi elements or what's the point? My final rating is 3 stars. 

(Book 2 Complete! ╰(*°▽°*)╯)


Book #3: She Gets the Girl by Rachel Lippincott and Alyson Derrick

Alex Blackwood is a little bit headstrong, with a dash of chaos and a whole lot of flirt. She knows how to get the girl. Keeping her on the other hand…not so much. Molly Parker has everything in her life totally in control, except for her complete awkwardness with just about anyone besides her mom. She knows she’s in love with the impossibly cool Cora Myers. She just…hasn’t actually talked to her yet.

Alex and Molly don’t belong on the same planet, let alone the same college campus. But when Alex, fresh off a bad (but hopefully not permanent) breakup, discovers Molly’s hidden crush as their paths cross the night before classes start, they realize they might have a common interest after all. Because maybe if Alex volunteers to help Molly learn how to get her dream girl to fall for her, she can prove to her ex that she’s not a selfish flirt. That she’s ready for an actual commitment. And while Alex is the last person Molly would ever think she could trust, she can’t deny Alex knows what she’s doing with girls, unlike her.

As the two embark on their five-step plans to get their girls to fall for them, though, they both begin to wonder if maybe they’re the ones falling…for each other.

Hour 16

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 48
Total Progress: 328 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

I'm finally getting into the one book that I knew I had to read. Not only did my loan end at the library but It's one of my most anticipated reads of the year. The last two books were good but not out of this world so I am hoping this is great. It's also a romance so a change of pace. So far Alex is not living like a typical teen. She shouldn't be working at a bar and dating someone who can afford to rent an apartment. I'm curious to read how old her girlfriend is. Molly is very much me. I'm excited to see them meet. 

Hour 17

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 4
Total Progress: 332 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

I'm tired so I didn't read much. I ate dinner so I can feel a little more awake which has been a success. It's going to be an interesting night...

Hour 18

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 36
Total Progress: 368 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

When I realized a chapter later that was Cora...! Poor Molly. I don't want to spoil anything so I will be as vague as possible. The Never Have I Ever game... Brutal and terrifying. I am so thrilled to get to see them fall in love and all the drama that is sure to happen at the end.


Hour 19

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 40
Total Progress: 408 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

I really like their dynamic. The step 1 fiasco was like oh no but funny as well. I specifically like Alex. I really want to see her with Molly and at a point where she is not even thinking about flirting with anyone else. There is a little of a "woe is me I am so pretty" feeling with her but I will let it go. She does have a tough background so it is balanced. 

Hour 20

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 62
Total Progress: 470 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

So things are getting revealed that I kind of had a small inkling of. I love how Alex ran to help Molly after certain something happened and that they are spending more time together. The beginnings of a spark are near! 

Hour 21

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 24
Total Progress: 494 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

Three. More. Hours... I am falling asleep. I contemplated stopping but let's just finish this book. I loved the cooking moment they had together. 

It will be interesting how they will react to each other's moms. 

And Natalie... ooh things are getting spicy.

Hour 22

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 58
Total Progress: 552 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

Oh my goodness! Yes, please and thank you. I will say nothing more... 😁

I am so interested in the convos with both the daughters and their mothers. There is so much more drama that can occur in these last 100 pages. 

Hour 23

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 66
Total Progress: 618 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

Crying my eyes out. I so want to discuss what I read but refuse to ruin it. Everyone go out and read this. There is only so little to go. I want to start right away but I also don't want to start a new book. We shall see.

Hour 24

Book: She Gets the Girl
Pages Read: 36
Total Progress: 654 pages - 100% in (5 hr. 43 min.) audiobook

My Final Thoughts:

It was fantastic. Cried a bunch at five something in the morning. Loved it. Gave it 5 stars! I think if you are interested in this book you should go out and borrow or buy it. It was fantastic. I absolutely loved Alex and Molly together. Alex's playful smirks and remarks are what made this even better. She is the best part. I do think this should have been a three-month journey for them because it makes more sense but that is my only hangup. Everything else was amazing.

I did not continue to read another book so I technically slept like 20 minutes early but it was also six o'clock and I finished my last book so I am happy.

(Book 3 Complete! ╰(*°▽°*)╯)

Statistics:


  • It's the End of the World and I'm in my Bathing Suit took me 3 hours and 3 minutes to complete. The audiobook is 5 hr. 43 min. while the actual page count of the physical book is 304 pages. I am also surprised it took the same amount of time to listen to this and read The Thirteenth hour.


Total Time Reading: 10 hours 54 minutes (There were some seconds on each of the books that added to one more minute.)

Total Pages Read/Listened: 958 pages


Final Thoughts on the Challenge

I could have done this on a day when I stayed home and gotten a lot more reading done. I also could have not focused so much on the amount of time I was reading each book per hour and just updated along the way every couple of hours. I think I could have gone through one more book if both scenarios were the case. I gave myself breaks in between later on in the day with booktube videos which was fine but maybe I could have done better just focusing on the books. Would I have been able to? I'm not so sure. Overall though I am happy I came away with a five-star read. I was a little disappointed in my middle-grade books but I am glad I was able to read them. 

Will I do this again? Unlikely. But I want to do another reading challenge like this in the future. I haven't been reading much this year and this has been a great experience.

Comments

  1. I don't think I could stay up for a whole 24 hours to be honest, but just trying to read a ton over one day or one weekend would be fun. Yay for a five star read.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Reading three books in 24 hours sounds like a lot was accomplished. Glad you ended with the book you liked the best. Sounds like an intriguing read for sure. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts on the books and the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top