Books to Read by the End of the Year 2021


I don't like doing TBR's anymore but the end of the year is always different. I stop reading right before Christmas so I can feel the maximum amount of excitement to read in the new year. This is one of my favorite times of the year. So much potential and anticipation at the end of the year/ beginning of a new one. I always seem to slow down my reading during this time too. I'm planning on reading four books in December.

In fairy tales, happy endings are the norm—as long as you're beautiful and walk on two legs. After all, the ogre never gets the princess. And since fairy tales are the foundational myths of our culture, how can a girl with a disability ever think she'll have a happy ending?
I have read three books this year with characters that have a disability and/or are neurodivergent. This isn't as bad as I was expecting because it seemed like I read none this year. I'm happy to finish off a major goal this year of reading more books with disabled characters with the last book being a nonfiction. I love fairy tales so Disfigured will be an interesting analysis of them and how they are portraying disabled individuals.

In Act Your Age, Eve Brown the flightiest Brown sister crashes into the life of an uptight B&B owner and has him falling hard—literally.
It was my turn to pick the book club book so I picked a romance. I know Talia Hibbert and romances, in general, have some major sex scenes that make this awkward to read with my mom. But, I tend to skip those scenes anyway. Talia Hibbert wrote one of my favorite books of this year and I really wanted to read a romance so here were go with Act Your Age, Eve Brown.

Joana, Julia, Sara and Nerea are happy, enthusiastic, creative... and everyone knows them as 'The Fantastic Hormiguets.'

In this third adventure the girls spend a weekend in a house in the country where they'll have a terrifying party. Costumes, food, pumpkins... everything is ready But when weird things start to happen, the adventure becomes really scary and of course, very, very fun.
Over my dead body will I not finish Un Finde Terrorifico by the end of this year. I haven't prioritized reading in Spanish this last half of the year probably because I know I am reading books ahead of my Spanish reading level. However, I am enjoying this book so I just need to make it a priority. I am 40% in and I am finishing it no matter what.

Twelve-year-old Wren loves makeup—special effect makeup, to be exact. When she is experimenting with new looks, Wren can create a different version of herself. A girl who isn’t in a sort-of-best friendship with someone who seems like she hates her. A girl whose parents aren’t divorced and doesn’t have to learn to like her new stepmom.
I received Violets Are Blue as a gift for my birthday last month. It was on my list because it seemed like the perfect emotional coming-of-age contemporary. I love that the main character is into SFX makeup. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. I want to make sure I read more of my owned books so I added it to this list.

A nonfiction book about disability and fairy tales. The third book in a romance series I haven't started. A Halloween book in Spanish. An emotional middle grade that features makeup. I always think I pick the strangest combination of books to read and this is no exception but I am genuinely excited to read all of them. What are you reading this last month of 2021?

Comments

back to top