Mini Reviews: Misfit City, Redwall, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Misfit City #1. BOOM! Box (May 2017) Library
Misfit City has this old school movie vibe just like the one the town is famous for. In this first issue we are introduced to the heroines, the villains, and the adventure they are all about to embark upon. There is a lot of diverse personalities and characters with different interests. I liked the cast of characters. They are unlikely friends and heroes. Wilder looks to be the natural leader. She an eco-warrior - an activist - which I think is pretty awesome to see in a character. Dot is our reader. She can be seen reading anywhere including while on the job shucking oysters. Karma is the sweet, good-natured, "hippie" girl. She's vegan so I instantly liked her as well as being the sweetest. Macy is the edgy friend who is lead singer in her band. Macy is the one who begins the adventure even if she wants no part of it. I thought this was a great start. The characters are all awesome. The town's history is cool. And the adventure is like that from an old movie like, "The Monster Squad" without the actual monsters but with villains who are coming dangerously close to cheesy.

________________________________________________________________________


Redwall #1. Philomel Books (Sep. 2000) Library
Redwall is one of those classical children's stories you just have to read along with Warriors. I had thought I read this book before but didn't remember a thing as I followed Matthias' tale of glory. There was so much more of this story than I initially thought. There is a villain with a rat's tail so long and a sinister heart. He would kill anyone who rebelled against him and even lead his own men to their death. Meanwhile Matthias is young but has a heart of a hero, truly. He was connected to Martin the Warrior and through him found the strength to fight the adversary known as Cluny the Scourge. I enjoyed this story but it was long and arduous. If it wasn't for the lengthy wording I think I would have enjoyed it more. It's detailed and great for fantasy/adventure lovers. It was an impressive read for a book featuring animals. I'm glad I got the chance to finally read it but it was just too lengthy for me.

________________________________________________________________________


Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Vol. 1. Archie Comics (Aug. 2016) Library
All throughout this book all I could this of was, "What am I reading!?" and afterwards, "WHAT DID I JUST READ!?" I read that this was about Sabrina the teenage witch but a darker side. Who knew a darker side meant having a woman named Madame Satan come back from hell, kill a bunch of people, and steal a poor girls face. Yep. That look on your face is mine reading that over.
Sabrina is half witch and half human. Apparently if you are a witch you aren't human. Her father takes her away from her mother and makes her go insane. She ends up living with her aunts, her cousin, and her familiar cat. This is such a messed up book that I don't understand how it was created. It's way out there for me to read something like this. I was freaked out and felt wrong the whole time.... But there is still a part of me that wants to know what happens next. There is a twist at the end that I wonder how Sabrina will take.
If you are into horror. Congratulations! This comic is for you.

________________________________________________________________________

Have you read any of these books before?
Would you want to read Sabrina's comic?

Comments

Post a Comment

back to top