Farmer Duck by Martin Waddell Illustrated by Helen Oxenbury

Title: Farmer Duck
Author: Martin Waddell
Illustrator: Helen Oxenbury
Stand Alone
Format: Paperback
Publisher- Candlewick Press
First Published: April 1st, 1992
Pages- 32
Source- Own

Overview:
A very lazy farmer sets a duck to work on his farm. He feeds the animals, out them where they should go, does all the housework chores and gets no break at all. The farmer always calls out "How goes the work?" and the duck responds "Quack!" He is so very tired and the hens, cows, and sheep gather together out of love for him and set up making a plan.

A plan that drives the lazy farmer away which is a relief to the tired duck. So instead of already having an owner that does no work; they work together to get all the chores done and they all contribute to having a great home of their own.

Review:
Absolutely beautiful illustrations that provide such rich images for the story. Poor Duck! He's stuck with all the chores that he shouldn't have to do. The farmer is a lazy man who sits in bed all day and eats. While Duck works he reaps the benefits. He works so hard and never complains. His friends - the cows, hens, and sheep - see how much he works for them and provide such a good home and life for them so they take action! It's a really wonderful tale of friendship and working together to create a good life for everyone involved. The rhyming was done rather well and I think many children will enjoy this book. It must have been popular because there are stuffed animals and activities even a DVD pertaining to the book like I have seen with a lot of the books I read. What can I say? I read great books. Well worth the read.


Comments

  1. I was buying myself a copy of the Little Prince today. :) I love this books for children cause you mostly can read them at different periods of life :)

    PS. To answer your question about TVD. I love the series really. But the books are awful. There is really a little that connects them. So don't start with the books they're annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom loved that book when she was little but I have yet to read it. My mom hardly like any books other than Nora Roberts so I should make the effort :P

      Oh good! That makes me feel surer of the way you see the books although I might try it out. I heard the show was different that the tv series and that might be the tv series fault but they must be doing something right.

      Delete
  2. I agree, the illustrations look beautiful. This sounds like a great story about teamwork and friendship. I may have to get it out from the library =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :D
      It's one of my picture books that I reread over and over again... mainly because I'm just a kid inside.

      Delete
  3. The artwork looks fantastic. I haven't heard of this book before, but I'm going to try to find it. It sounds very entertaining. Almost like a Cinderella story featuring a duck instead of a girl.
    Books for Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice way of thinking about it. Except he needs a princess (;

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this one- but it does sound great. I love the pictures and I am glad the duck and fellow animals are able to come up with a plan to outsmart the lazy farmer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top