Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Release Date: March 1st 2012

I don't really know how to describe this book. It's very vulgar and everybody's cursing all the time. Good thing it has my sense of humor otherwise I don't know how I'd be able to read it. Please don't think ill of me.

Me is Greg Gaines who is described as rat looking, chubby, and friends with everyone. This is his last year of High School which he has been hating throughout his time there at Benson. He essentially has no friends except Earl but I'll get to him later. To survive High School he stays at an arm's length distance with all the other groups and subdivisions so he doesn't suffer from evil stares, beatings, or other things synonymous with the average High School description. Well in books because my school has never been like that. We have our groups but it's just our friends. We don't care if you're a nerd or whatever... So! Um... yeah.

You get introduced to Earl like 50 pages in which was very confusing because he mentions him like two times before you know who he is. Me and Earl.... wait who's  Earl? Earl is apparently super smart but takes the stupid classes that you can get A's in easily. He's also very foul mouthed and vulgar like Greg but way way worse. He lives with brothers and stepbrothers. They fight all the time. The youngest who is thirteen already has a tattoo and a baby.... yeah. A BABY. He's short and looks really young so he's super sensitive about it and will windmill kick you in the head. Or some other part of your body that you won't like. I can't remember. So you know that you don't mess with Earl. He's actually kind of a good person because with the whole Rachel thing he's actually nice to her and cares more about her then what Earl does.

Before I get into Rachel I probably should tell you that they are filmmakers... well not really. Everything they do pretty much sucks even the good ones. Rachel, the dying girl, loves them. She is this girl he knew in Hebrew School that he avoided hanging out with. She's like okay and she laughs a lot. She's pretty nice. His mother makes him become friends with her which is really awkward seeing that he was mean to her. His mother ends up ruining his life twice during the course of this book. One time she doesn't think she did. But she did. Believe me.

He said in the beginning that he learned nothing through the whole experience but I think that is a bold faced lie. He did learn something. Earl actually gives him this whole speech that I'm definitely sure he learned from. I liked him even more because of it. This book was really good. I'm surprised how much I liked it. The summary on Goodreads could not prepare me at all with what this book was going to be like. I think it was sort of a trick so when parents read the summary they'd be okay with you getting it but really if they only read like the first chapter or two they would have thrown it out a window before letting you read it. Good thing my parents don't care what I read. And that I'm pretty much old enough to read it because it was really a really good book. Greg was pretty funny and Earl himself was just amazing. The I read that the author graduated Harvard and I just couldn't believe it. That was funny too because of how the book was. But seriously it was good. Looking forward to more by Andrews.

Comments

back to top