The Originals by Cat Patrick

Standalone. Little, Brown and Company (May 2013) Own

A riveting new story from Cat Patrick, author of Forgotten and Revived.

17-year-olds Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey Best grew up as identical triplets... until they discovered a shocking family secret. They're actually closer than sisters, they're clones. Hiding from a government agency that would expose them, the Best family appears to consist of a single mother with one daughter named Elizabeth. Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey take turns going to school, attending social engagements, and a group mindset has always been a de facto part of life...     

Then Lizzie meets Sean Kelly, a guy who seems to see into her very soul. As their relationship develops, Lizzie realizes that she's not a carbon copy of her sisters; she's an individual with unique dreams and desires, and digging deeper into her background, Lizzie begins to dismantle the delicate balance of an unusual family that only science could have created.

I really don't think I can describe this book other than mind-numbingly good. It's one of those books that you don't have to think too much about. You just go with the flow and enjoy the ride. I admit that I did a little background check on this book before I bought it. I usually do for those rare books that are actually on my shelf. So I knew that it wasn't going to mega actiony or a very suspenseful sci-fi book. I knew it was going to be really just about three girls dealing with high school, first love, and a strict parent but with a little bit of a twist coming with it. So if you are expecting anything like what I said before about the action and overly suspenseful sci-fi thing going on then this book isn't for you. If you are looking for a book that you can just stick your nose in and simply have a nice time with that doesn't mess with your head - something to get you away from all the heavy stuff in a lot of books then The Originals is for you.

I don't want to underrate this book by saying it's just another high school romance book (even though every book even a high school romance book is interesting and unique in its own way) because it is interesting, it is entertaining, and it did fulfill me in its own way. The clone concept isn't one that's around much which made this more engaging than your regular read. The Originals is basically how three cloned girls try to distinguish themselves from each other. They are doing this at a time where we are all trying to find our own identities - their struggle is just a bit more troublesome.

You would think that there would be three POV's but there is actually just one. Now is when I realize that, that could have made the story a little more interesting but at the time I was okay with it, still am, because with Lizzie I felt like she was finding herself the most. She's the one who feels like she isn't really anyone. She's just a third of a person. Ella is amazingly intelligent and flies through her classes and Betsy is this tough-take-chances type of girl. I actually really loved Betsey. Whenever she talked or did anything I had to admire her. She was really strong as was Lizzie. Lizzie was just coming into herself while Betsy always was the first to act. Lizzie was learning to be more of that person. 

They have this really complicated relationship with their mother. I don't want to get into how they are who they are and the government agency because it's better to discover it yourself and nothing really big happens with it except well... you can figure it out on your own. Anyways her mother has them on a tight leash and I know that others have questioned why they didn't rebel sooner. Well, I understand where they are coming from. I honestly didn't think about it too much while I was reading it but I feel like now is when they are rebelling because they discovered that they can't live like this forever and that they don't know who they are. They are this one singular person and all that changes when boys get into the mix which is what boys do. Complicate things.

Lizzie's love interest is Sean Kelly. He's this super cute artist and superman-esqe look alike. He also has those superman moves in that he's the hero but Lizzie isn't a damsel in distress. He's just the overall good guy that is friendly towards anyone but he has his own twist to him since he's a writer and photographer. Him and Lizzie work well together. I wasn't anxious or doting on how adorable they were but they were cute together and they brought out their real selves with each other. They did have some moments where they got jealous of other people (naturally because people flirt and you can't control what your sisters do when they are essentially the only you the world knows about) and it was kind of like you just met each other you shouldn't be that jealous to give someone the stink eye or ask them abrupt questions. But, it was just tiny moments a couple of times so I wouldn't worry about it. Other than that they were fun to read about.

There is a little mystery and some events happen to them... (of course). It did keep me interested and guessing some about what was going on or what was going to happen to them so I liked that addition to the story. There is one other thing I didn't particularly like about the story other than the jealous moments and it was that the book ended a little weird. I mean I wanted to know what happened next and I think this book could have benefited with either a sequel or a less... let's just say weird ending.. but it's not quite that. It just ended a little too soon or not in the right place...I don't know it just was a little off for me but it didn't deter me from liking the overall ending of the story.

Overall: This was a fun read that provided me with a great reading escape. The twist of the main characters being clones and finding out their personalities and what was going to happen to them really made this story what it was - a wonderful, relaxing read.

For more info about Cat Patrick and her books you can visit her website where I discovered another one of her books coming out in August (co-written with Suzanne Young - author of The Program) that you might like:

One decision will change everything…     

Caroline is at a crossroads.                                    

Her grandmother is sick, maybe dying. Like the rest of her family, Caroline’s been bedside since Gram’s stroke. With the pressure building, all Caroline wants to do is escape—both her family and the reality of Gram’s failing health. So when Caroline’s best friend offers to take her to a party one fateful Friday night, she must choose: Stay by Gram’s side for what might be her final hours, or Go to the party and live her life.                                                     
The consequences of this one decision will split Caroline’s fate into two separate paths— and she is about to live them both.                                                                                                                    
Friendships are tested and family drama hits an all new high as Caroline attempts to rebuild old relationships, and even make a few new ones. If she stays, her longtime crush, Joel, might finally notice her, but if she goes, Chris, the charming college boy, might prove to be everything she’s ever wanted. Though there are two distinct ways for her fate to unfold, there is only one happy ending . . .


Comments

  1. Yes, I think my main issue with this one was I was hoping for something a bit more sci fi thriller-ish. BUT I totally agree with you on the easy quality to this one - it was quite a pleasant read and it was especially good because I read it in between two heavier books so it was a good break. Books like these have their place! Anyways, very nicely reviewed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It is a perfect break from those harsher types of books that are good some times while this is good at other times. I'm glad you understood me because I was worried I didn't explain it right.

      Delete
  2. It frustrates me quite a bit when books end in funny places, but I really like the sound of this one overall! I haven't read anything by this author before, but I have heard mostly good things, and I'm glad to see you enjoyed this. I'll definitely have to give it a try. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know who this author was until after I read The Originals. Forgotten by her is supposed to be great so I might try her out after this.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I didn't realise Cat Patrick already had another novel out! I knew about the one she's co-writing, but not this one.

    The boom sounds interesting but at the same time a little alike Revived, which I really didn't like- the feel I got from the synopsis and your review make me feel as if it it would be quite similar, and whether it's just her writing style or the storyline, I don't know- I don't think it's for me, either way.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, though! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read revived but if you think it's similar to this one then you probably won't like it :/ - It's really just a book you can use a buffer for those ones that make your heart ache.

      Delete
  4. This sounds so interesting. I have read a couple of books about cloning and each one was intriguing because the concept is fascinating (but scary). This is my first time hearing of this one. Thanks for sharing- helpful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I would love to know what those cloning books are.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top