Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Title: Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons
Series: (Article 5 #1)
Format- Hardcover
Publisher- Tor Teen
Published- January 31st, 2012
Pages- 364
Source- Library

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.
The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.
There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.


Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.


That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.

Ember has always kept her head down like everyone else, not wanting to cause any trouble. She didn't want to be one of those kids who were taken away and never seen from again. She didn't want to have her mother like the families of those kids to move away out of grief. Her mother on the other hand likes to cause a little trouble. She does small things to protest the upheaval of her rights. She reads books with shirtless men on the cover, she sometimes argues with soldiers, and she's not married. That last one is her real trouble. Article 5 states that a family consists of a man, woman, and child(ren). The man and the woman must be married and her mother is not. She's more of a free spirit. This "free spirit" gets taken away to trial while Ember is sent away to a girl's reformatory and rehabilitation center. Ember is angry and desperate to get to her mother because her mother needs her. More than anything she feels betrayal.  Betrayal of a former love turned cold soldier who stood there while they ripped her hands away from her mother.

You can imagine how much I hated this new America. It really drove the story for me. If you noticed not only did the man and the woman have to be married they had to be a man and a woman. Everything is like no progress has happened. The women had to dress in their "roles" wearing really long skirts and basically looking like a nun. I'm sure they thought men were the providers too... When Ember went to the rehabilitation center she met a woman named Ms. Brooks. She was the ultimate betrayer to women all over the world. With her pursed lips and snide comments. She thought she was better than everyone else and oh did I want Ember to bring her down a peg. The time she spent in the reformatory was exciting. The story brought out all the feelings that dystopians are supposed to convey. You were sitting there feeling total contempt for Ms. Brooks, the soldiers, and the government. You wanted Ember to fight and put back the right America.

About the first half of the book everything was exciting. I was anticipating what was going to happen next. I cried out when she was suffering under their cruelty. I wanted to kick some soldiers where they would feel it the most. All these soldiers had this blank look in their faces and some were just plain evil. One in particular was later on going to be the bane of Ember's and my existence. He's such a chauvinist. Argh!!! Men are not better than women. Women are not better than men. Stop trying to bend the rules to your will. It's a fact. Get over it. He did some unthinkable things. How dare he. Ms. Brook was no better. I don't know where in her little mind that she thought herself to be a lady. She was horrid. Ugh. I'm going to stop with them here because I'm getting upset. So the first half was really intense and stirred up all kinds of emotions but then everything changed when the former love came waltzing in to save his damsel in distress. 

I don't know why when a guy enters in a book that there has to be this complete shift in the mood of the story. This part I did not like. Ember acted like an idiot. Where did that strong girl go? She was worth reading about. Then Chase comes in and poof. There go her brains. She was angry at Chase for letting the soldiers take her mother away. She was in the wrong of course. He was always there for her and she was always thinking where did my love go? He's been replaced by a stranger (dramatic sigh). What does he do? Protects her all the time! It's like she can't put two and two together. It's ridiculous. Chase was an alright character. He was strong and always made sure Ember was safe. He's trying to reunite her and her mother so that's really what keeps Ember from leaving him like that would be a smart move. I can't really say much about him because I couldn't connect with him and maybe that was the point. He was to be seen as a stranger to Ember and readers too I guess. He was really whatever for me and I couldn't find him swoon worthy at all or even very anything really. He was really tall so he's got that going for him. 

Mixed feelings with this one. I honestly feel like the next one is going to be better based on Ember's attitude at the end. There was a shift and I feel like it's what I've been waiting for. I still really enjoyed the story and I want to read where it's going to go. I think it can only go up from here. Just remember Ember. You are your own woman. Get into fights and make some trouble.

For more info about Kristen Simmons and her books go to:

Comments

  1. I actually really liked this at the time, but I do think agree with a lot of your points. I haven't read the sequel yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Great review, Adriana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any reviews for the sequel yet just because I don't want anyone to taint my mind to what's going to happen or if it's good or bad. I haven't seen any reviews around the blogger world actually which is surprising because I know a lot of people read Article 5.
      The author is actually going to be near me in February so maybe I can meet her and get the book then.

      Delete
  2. Nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out at book-nerdandcritic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks, but (I guess I should put this somewhere on my blog), I don't accept awards. But, thanks anyways for the kind gesture (:

      Delete
  3. Wow this book sounds interesting! For some reason, I tend to avoid "popular books" and this one I've seen around. Though it isn't very popular. But just reading that synopsis makes my jaw drop. Just, wow. And when you explained more in-depth of how the society worked, it felt like it was the 1800-1900's again where they had no respect for woman that weren't married or just woman in general! But I really do hate mood changes. It just lacks what the character is! They are strong, then a boy is put in? Wimpy-out.

    In any case, I love your review, it gives just the right amount of information. :D
    THANKS FOR THE FOLLOW! SKDJFAKDJLAKJ~ <333
    I'm now a follower of your lovely blog! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really like popular books but I tend to read books that people don't recognize or the rare person does so I'm a little with you on that. Thanks for saying I give just the right amount of info. I tried to do that with this one. I worry sometimes if I give away too much.

      Thanks for the follow back! I look forward to your reviews and rants <3

      Delete
  4. This is a book I remember hearing about a lot last year and then I forgot about it. The beginning sounds great, I would dislike that horrible world too. But I am so with you on these dystopians really just being romance books in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! But, I kind of like it that way done right like in The Maze Runner. There was romance but it was way more action and over all terrifyingness.

      Delete
  5. I can see why reading about this world made you mad! I have been wanting to read this book and your review gave me a lot to think about. I am glad the book ended up in a way that makes you think the sequel will be even better. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All dystopian worlds tend to make me frustrated but none like this one. It was what drove the book for me. Thanks (:

      Delete
  6. I am currently obsessed with all the YA dystopian fiction out there, and this is one of my favorites. If you like the Hunger Games and Divergent series you will definitely like this one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top