Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Standalone. Delacorte Books (Sept. 2015) Own
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

I needed to calm down before I wrote this review but I can already feel my blood boiling. Let's get right to it shall we? I do not like what happens towards the end. I even cursed out loud when things were said. The thing is that I knew from the beginning that it was a possibility and I kept thinking it but when it hit I got so angry. It's hard to recover from that revelation.

It's not like the whole story made me angry or anything. There were good parts like Maddy and Olly and Carla. 

Maddy has SCID's which basically means if she goes outside she will get really sick and die. She lives in a bubble with her mom. Carla, her nurse, comes along to check to see if she's breathing. 

Olly moves in next door with his family. He's funny, sweet, likes to climb things, and just wants to get to know Maddy. And oh boy is he trouble.

But there's more to the characters than that. Maddy is a reader who loves her mom and Carla. She's quick witted and curious about the world. She's a precious little bean just like our Olly. Olly has this sweet way of making Maddy smile. He's a charmer and is just all around wonderful. He has problems at home which Maddy notes as she stalks/writes down notes on their family's schedule. I don't blame her for doing that, though. She lives in a bubble. 

Carla, Maddy's nurse, is this sweet Hispanic woman who sincerely cares for Maddy. I absolutely loved that woman and her kind heart. 

Most of the story is Maddy getting to know Olly through e-mail and real life. She's starts to wonder about the world around her and that leads to her pushing the boundaries.

I liked the characters and the story as a whole but again that ending really just through me off. It just knocked everything that I read down two notches. I mean go into this knowing you will be shocked or distraught. Just throwing that out there. 

Comments

  1. I got mad at the ending but only for a second and then I gave a nod to the author for surprising me. lol :) This was probably one of my favorite reads when it came out. I am currently reading the author's new book so we shall see if that one has a crazy ending as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top