Mini Reviews: Fancy Nancy, Mia, and Cake Soup


I'm reading so many books lately, especially picture books so I'd thought I'd review a whole bunch in one go.

Nancy will have to do some fancy footwork to resolve her predicament in this latest Fancy Nancy story for beginning readers. Much to her dismay, Nancy has been chosen for the relay team in this year's Field Day at school. Despite her many natural talents, Nancy isn't much of a runner. She's afraid of letting her team down—especially after finding out that an unkind (that's another word for mean) girl in her class is on the team too. With a little help from her dad, Nancy tries her best, stands up for herself, and makes a new friend.

             

It was lucky for me when I found a sort of chapter book version of Fancy Nancy. Perfect for first graders and me of course. Fancy Nancy and the Mean Girl emphasized how you need to stand up for yourself instead of letting someone make you feel like you are less.

I forgot how much Nancy is into vocabulary so I got a surprise with all of her "fancy" new words. The plot was one that anyone can relate too although, I don't like the idea that Nancy gave up when she practiced running all week and found no improvement. That kind of sent the opposite message. Besides, that she dealt with very real situations and reacted how any kid would. The illustrations are fun and girly and I'd love to draw some of them. I plan on reading many more Fancy Nancy books in the future.



Nancy has her act for the school's talent show all planned out: She and Bree will do an absolutely stupendous song-and-dance number together. But when Ms. Glass assigns partners for the show, Nancy gets paired up with Lionel. He's the shyest boy in class! Will Nancy and Lionel be able to work together to perform one marvelous act? Or will the show go on without them?

                            



Here I am again reading another Fancy Nancy so soon! I couldn't resist. Although, I think the vocabulary is hard for a child to grasp/remember throughout the story, I enjoyed all the new fancy words in Nancy's new adventure. This was more adorable than I could imagine especially when Nancy's partner Lionel revealed that he loved lions (I love the play on words). His whole bedroom was just filled with them to my surprise. It really just made me want to figure how to make some cool masks. The story was sweet as ever, the art lovely, and the message clear: everyone has something special about them. 


On her first day at dance class, Mia can't wait to put on her bouncy pink tutu. There's only one problem: her tutu is too-too big It falls down and Mia falls over it with every step. But just as Mia starts to get upset, she meets Ruby--and Mia realizes that no setback is too hard to handle with a good friend by your side.

                  




I was never a ballerina and really never inspired to be one either but I thought why not when I saw Mia in her tutu. Mia has a problem - she packed the wrong tutu! Her friend Ruby also has a shared problem - they both can't help tripping everywhere. What are they going to do when they are asked to dance in front of the whole class?

This was lovely to read especially with girls (boys too if they love dance). There is something about ballerina's that little girls seem to love. The writing in Mia's story was simple but not too simple for a child that already knows how to read some. The artwork and style of the story were really cute especially with all those animal dancers in tutus. This was a nice, cute story that had the main characters tossing caution to the win because who cares about tripping when you are trying to have fun?


Mia is excited to learn a new dance with her best friend, Ruby. But on the day of class, Ruby isn’t feeling well and Mia must find another partner. At first Mia is afraid she won’t have anyone to dance with, but soon Mia finds herself with not one, but two partners! Making sure no one is left out, Mia finds a solution that will work for everyone.

                             



Mia has come into my arms again! This time around Ruby is nowhere to be found. She's home sick in bed and Mia is feeling left out since she's supposed to dance with a partner. Then Bella and Ali ask her if she wants to be her partner. That's one too many partners! (Do you sense a theme?) What will Mia decide to do?

This felt not as long as Mia and the Big Tutu. It really could have had more but I like the general idea that you shouldn't leave anyone out because you wouldn't feel good if you were left out. Empathy is a trait that a lot of people need to learn so it's nice to see it portrayed in a book for young readers.


It's Lowly Worm's birthday-and Huckle Cat and all his friends are throwing Lowly a surprise party. But when Huckle and Bridget try to make a cake, their special recipe turns into . . .cake soup! But no kitchen disaster can stop this crew from celebrating.

                  






I think I've only read one Richard Scarry story growing up. It was in this treasury with different authors. Last time I remember reading it, it was falling apart. I at least was able to recognize some familiar faces but only Lowly's name was mentioned from the pool of characters I remembered. Cake Soup is all about a group of friends trying and failing to bake a cake for Lowly's birthday party but succeeding in making one spectacularly, peculiar looking cake soup (I am honestly surprised they enjoyed it in the end).

The artwork was very animated and over the top which I enjoyed. It really made me say, "Oh, No!" like in the story because everything that could go wrong did. The writing has predictable sentences which I was glad to come across. It was the perfect book I needed and it happily sent me down memory lane.

Comments

  1. I used to watch Richard Scarry when I was younger; I don't know if I ever read any of the books though. I think my niece would eventually like the Mia books - because she dances too!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top