It's Monday! What Are You Reading? #8

This book meme is hosted by Book Journey

I've been thinking a lot about the blog. I'm thinking I'm going to have less reviews in February (the week after this one). Thirteen reviews should do it. I might have reviews backed up for awhile but honestly it's not a big deal. I will get to them eventually. Most likely summer when I have more time. 

Past Week Reads


Very girly last week I know. Charlotte's story was wonderful. I loved hearing her perspective and about all that food! As well as how the restaurant worked and what it all meant to her. Shadow Breakers was a great surprise for me. I'm thrilled I was able to find and read the first part of the series. I expect only great things. Boundless - perfect ending to a great angel trilogy.

Past Week Reviews



This past week I reviewed: Being Henry David, Article 5, Shadow Breakers, Offside, and Boundless. I was able to get two NetGalley reviews down, two books I had just read, and another I know everyone was talking about so it all worked out well.

Currently Reading


I reviewed the first book of the April Grace series recently. I saw this one at NetGalley so I had to read it. It's the third one but I can follow along pretty well. There was one big shock from the last book I wasn't expecting (I'm about midway into the book) and another one that was a part of this book. Things are going to go DOWN.

Look What I Got!


I got The Juvie Three from a giveaway at The Flashlight Reader and Blaze from a giveaway at Icey Books. I'm getting lucky all of a sudden. Well I never tried to win anything before so that helps. Aren't they beautiful!?


And there both signed! Buahahaha! I'm so content with readers and authors. I love being a blogger. I also got some great ebooks from a friend! She's so awesome. Again I didn't even ask!

Book Discoveries

Reclaimed by Sarah Guillory
Reclaimed
Jenna Oliver doesn’t have time to get involved with one boy, let alone two. 

All Jenna wants is to escape her evaporating small town and her alcoholic mother. She's determined she'll go to college and find a life that is wholly hers—one that isn't tainted by her family's past. But when the McAlister twins move to town and Jenna gets involved with both of them, she learns the life she planned may not be the one she gets.

Ian McAlister doesn't want to start over; he wants to remember.

Ian can’t recall a single thing from the last three months—and he seems to be losing more memories every day. His family knows the truth, but no one will tell him what really happened before he lost his memory. When he meets Jenna, Ian believes that he can be normal again because she makes not remembering something he can handle.

The secret Ian can’t remember is the one Luke McAlister can’t forget.

Luke has always lived in the shadow of his twin brother until Jenna stumbles into his life. She sees past who he’s supposed to be, and her kiss brings back the spark that life stole. Even though Luke feels like his brother deserves her more, Luke can’t resist Jenna—which is the trigger that makes Ian's memory return.

Jenna, Ian, & Luke are about to learn there are only so many secrets you can keep before the truth comes to reclaim you.

My Chemical Mountain by Corina Vacco
My Chemical Mountain

Rocked by his father's recent death and his mother's sudden compulsion to overeat, Jason lashes out by breaking into the abandoned mills and factories that plague his run-down town. Always by his side are his two best friends, Charlie, a fearless thrill junkie, and Cornpup, a geek inventor whose back is covered with cysts. The boys rage against the noxious pollution that suffocates their town and despise those responsible for it; at the same time, they embrace the danger of their industrial wasteland and boast about living on the edge. 

Then on a night the boys vandalize one of the mills,  Jason makes a costly mistake--and unwittingly becomes a catalyst for change. In a town like his, change should be a good thing. There's only one problem: change is what Jason fears most of all.




Precious by Precious Williams
Precious
Where are you from?’ is a question I always find hard to answer. England in the 1970s: an ad in Nursery World. Private foster parents required for a three-month-old baby – me. The lucky applicant is a 57-year-old white woman who has adored ‘coloured’ children ever since reading Uncle Tom’s Cabin and falling in love with the character Topsy… My mother arrives, a haughty Nigerian woman in a convertible with a Moses basket on the seat beside her, setting the net curtains in this all-white council estate twitching. And though my privileged mother claims the whole place makes her skin crawl, she returns to London with an empty basket beside her, choosing this home for me because, unusually for the estate, my new foster mother talks proper, and I’ll need a posh white accent for the bright future I supposedly have ahead of me.




School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins
School Spirits (School Spirits, #1)

Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? 

Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!

Burning Blue by Paul Griffin
Burning Blue
When Nicole Castro, the most popular girl at her high school, has her face splashed with acid, her classmate, loner and brilliant hacker, Jay Nazarro, does more than just gawk at her. He decides to find out who did it. 

The deeper he digs, though, the more he falls for Nicole…and the more danger he’s in. Everyone is a suspect—even Nicole herself—and whoever did it seems ready to strike again. 

Burning Blue is a high-stakes, soulful mystery that explores just how far love, or the other side of love, will take us.




What are you reading this week?


Comments

  1. Charlotte au Chocolate looks cute!! I'm adding it to my to-read list!

    Thanks for following my blog! I'm a new follower of yours as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It is a really great memoir and is written wonderfully.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the wins! And both books are signed? How lucky! :)

    I'm really looking forward to reading School Spirits. The Hex Hall books always managed to put a smile on my face so I'm looking forward to trying Hawkins' new book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!?

      I didn't read the last book in her trilogy which I need to go do. I already know what happens because looking it up I had it ruined on Goodreads. They could have said it was a spoiler. I don't remember this character. She must be new even if it's a spin off.

      Delete
  3. LOVE the Precious, Reclaimed, Shadow Breakers, and Chocolate Covered Honey covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You mean Chocolate-Covered Baloney? I know it doesn't make sense if you have't read it. Your title sounds yummier. I'm really excited to have discovered Precious. It looks like my next great memoir read :D

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to read Shadow Breakers. Love the cover! So many great books! You got lots of wonderful books in the mail! Precious looks fantastic! Burning blue sounds fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burning Blue should be really good. It's different than I'm used to but also the same because it deals with how people see themselves.

      Delete
  5. Somehow I missed your review on Being Henry David =O It's on my TBR so I'm curious as to what you thought, I'll have to go back and read it. Also, love the cover of Reclaimed! It sounds really good too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top