Hopes for the New Year

Every year about 45% of Americans make resolutions. In the end it's about 8% that actually complete that goal. So why do those initial 45% decide to make a resolution for the New Year at all? It might be because when you do make a resolution you are ten times more likely to make a change. It also might mean like for me that a new year presents a restart button. I always like to start over in video games. I don't think I've ever completed one. The possibility of starting over after you get stuck or bored where you're at - it's addictive. It's a new year which I see as a great restart button because you can make it your new start. I don't know if this is the greatest thinking. It is actually a good opportunity to take on something new but it kind of constricts you to start then. You know how you always say I'll start doing this next Monday? Oh now is not the right time next month will be better? And then you never start at all. We do the same thing with the New Year. We say that we will do something but never do it. So why start something at New Year's? Why not just start it next week or month or today? Those people who do complete their goal. They are hard workers. They are motivated. They get stuck but continue on. What's stopping the rest of us?

Resolutions don't change much each year. It's usually those who want to lose weight and quit smoking that we here most about on talk shows. But, I had no idea that people wanted to get organized (that actually makes a lot of sense) that much or fall in love. I'm sure lots of people want to fall in love but to actually make that a resolution was kind of weird to me (well not really). So how is it possible to complete your resolution? Well I think it's the plans or the lack of that is the foundation of our success. I've made a couple of resolutions over the years but I don't really remember them which most likely means I didn't complete them or actually tried them. I think those who are truly serious and do accomplish their goal however, small amount of people that do are really motivated and have a plan. I think most people that do make a resolution have some sort of plan that's in their minds but they never take steps to do it. The Happiness Project was based upon hours and hours of research. Now I don't think everyone would want to do that but is it possible that more people can accomplish their goals? Of course. Say your resolution is to lose weight. Well okay. How on earth are you going to do that? Do you have a schedule? Do you have a healthy cookbook to which to make recipes with? Do you have a chart or food journal? We may make resolutions but the action of it might never happen if we don't think about it. Most of us may be procrastinators but having a plan is another major issue of whether you will fail your goals or become a success.

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to say on this post and how I really should start making plans and schedules and whatnot. But do I really want to make resolutions so I can be disappointed in myself if I fail? But, you know what? What if I don't fail? I really do want to make some resolutions this year. I make them about books all the time and I'm pretty good at them. Reading is my greatest pastime so it doesn't requite too much effort though. Mostly I'm thinking of making the resolution countless other make - to get fit. I've already done some walking yesterday and I'm going to jog on the treadmill some today and do some other exercises too. I want to be able to run a 5k by mid March. There are some other resolutions I want to take on like being more organized, having less clutter, and doing some nagging tasks that I really need to get done. It's never a better time to start then now so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I stick with it. I don't know how it will go but that all depends on me. I wonder if any of you bloggers out there have any resolutions. If you do I would love to read about them and how you plan to implement them. Also, if you've ever completed a resolution I would love to know how you were able to do it.

Comments

  1. I've got several resolutions/goals for 2013, and I think they're actually pretty attainable :)

    1. Continue to lose weight and learn how to maintain, after I hit my goal this spring (I've lost 23lbs since October and have around 12 more to go!)
    2. start that crazy thing called exercise lol. Last night I spent some time on Youtube and created a playlist of free 10-15 minute exercise videos-starting them tomorrow :)
    3. Start the FLYlady cleaning system for my house (started it today!)
    4. Read 213 books (last year I read almost 300 so this should be a very doable goal for me)
    5. Create and keep active a book themed picture blog, where I record all the books I read in 2013 (spent a ridiculous amount of time setting this up yesterday/today and it's now live yay!)

    I hope we both have a productive and beautiful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! You go girl! You've done well.
      I'll have to go check out the blog (:

      Delete
  2. Hi Adriana-
    Do you think you could tell me (in detail, as I'm not very good with technology) how to add a widget from Goodreads? I'm having difficulties. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Go to your picture and click the down button next to it. Click edit profile and on the tabs button there, there is one for widgets. You can customize your widgets. Just paste on your blog and you are golden! If you have anymore trouble just ask (:

      Delete
    2. Do you mean account settings? There was no "edit profile" thing there. And I didn't see anything under account settings either...I told you I'm not good at technology. ;)

      Delete
    3. No, it says edit profile. Are you looking next to your picture? Next to it on the right there is a down arrow click that and there it says edit profile then you do the rest.

      If not just go on your profile (click your picture). It'll say something like Cleo's Profile on the top then in parenthesis a little smaller it says (edit profile). Click that. Under My Account there are a bunch of tabs. One says widgets.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of a new year and a chance to make changes (even though we can make changes at any time). There is something about the new year that always seems full of possibilities. I usually make a few resolutions each year and have had some successes and some that didn't quite make it. One year I set a goal to floss every day (I wasn't as good about it as I needed to be). I have kept it up for over 5 years! This year I hope to work on being a little more fit and I have also set some reading goals. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love that. At least you kept some goals. That's great.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top