How Oliver Olson Changed the World by Claudia Mills Pictures by Heather Maione


Oliver Olson's parents like to control every aspect of his life. He can't go to his friend J.P's house for a sleepover on account of germs and they won't be there to make sure he's safe, he needs to eat a very healthy meal even if it tastes like cardboard, and he can't do his own diorama project because he might miss something to get a good grade on it. Oliver was a sickly child and his parents have turned to worrywarts because of it. He can still become sick at anytime. And then he has to eat protein bars and *shudders* rice cake to make sure he's as healthy as he can be. His parents will likely either do his homework for him or correct them. They think he's always behind because he had to wait a year to go to kindergarten. And then there's this other assignment where he has to come up with an idea that can change the world. How is someone who has everything done for him or is always told what to do supposed to change the world?

I can't even remember when was the last time I read books this size It makes me smile just thinking about it. I actually thoroughly  liked it. I was so on his side with the parents thing. Ugh. Those parents remind me of mine but they never did my homework or anything like that. There just too protective and I get what he's talking about. But sheesh! His parents... I kind of liked talkative Crystal because she gave him something. She gave him confidence. It was a very nice little book and even though I'm "too old for it" I still liked it.

Comments

back to top